Huanglongbing (citrus greening) detected in the San Gabriel area of Los Angeles County

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/egov/Press_Releases/Press_Release.asp?PRnum=15-031

It seams like once something like this reaches the U.S. Mainland it is just a matter of time before you see it In your neighborhood .

Ya, it will be in the commercial orchards in CA within 10 yrs, probably seriously so.

I think it’s interesting that they even found this diseased tree.Is there some obvious outward sign to make it noticeable? Brady

Even though I haven’t lived there in a few decades, and haven’t yet read the linked article, a couple of non-family friendly words came out of my mouth when I read the title to the thread.

I’m sorry to hear that. At least CA has the research and experience and a few tools at hand from Florida’s struggle so that they don’t have to learn from scratch. I realize that’s little consolation when a major industry is threatened.

Now that I’ve read the article, I’ll also add that I hope that it was detected in time to prevent spread from this infection. Unfortunately, it really is probably just a matter of time before it becomes established.

Brady I’m no expert nor even close but I think that’s part of the problem. By the time symptoms are obvious it’s probably already spread.

warping and twisting of leaf blades are the most overt symptom, and greening of fruits.
have dealt with this disease growing citrus in asia. It is not rapidly lethal, and trees continue to bear fruits, but if you are a commercial grower, it will be bad for business
if you’ve seen many valencia oranges being sold in southeast asia, almost all have a greenish tinge, even though fully ripe. Chlorophyll in citrus fruits supposedly disintegrate with cold weather, which is why ripe oranges in sub-tropical regions are more orange in coloration(as the loss of green chlorophyll unmasks the other predominant color which is orange) compared to those oranges grown in the hot and humid tropics. Strangely, greening disease apparently results in ‘tougher’ chlorophyll being produced, and seems to be enhanced by cold weather.