Hybrid persimmon flowering -- some data points

Kassandra came from England’s. The rootstock is seedling DV. The graft is fairly high – 2 1/2’.

Prok came from Stark’s. Also seedling DV. So now I have various names grafted to Prok (a massive inter-stem) grafted to seedling DV. I think the rootstock is male because I had a few seeds last year and the only plausible pollen source was a small sucker (which I have since transplanted and grafted!).

FYI, I did 7-8 grafts of JT-02 onto Prok last year. Bud grafts failed. Whip-and-tongue, cleft, and bark grafts almost all succeeded. Growth was vigorous – in 3-4 cases, growth exceeded 3’. Of the bigger grafted branches, one was destroyed by wind last summer; one was lost when the tree shedded a low branch this spring; one I removed when top-working this spring, just to organize the tree better; and two remain (in photo).

All of my own grafts, including this JT-02, are on seedling DV. I buy the seedlings, grow them out in pots for a season, then graft them after they wake up the next spring.

I will make pictures of my shoots when I get around to do it…my plants are exact match of yours…thicker branches have that particular zig zag pattern, thinner branches are less corresponding.

1 Like

Here is my JT-02 flowering despite being broken in half during a tree pruning accident. I’m hand pollinating one branch of flowers with pollen from Cheong Pyong and the other branch with pollen from Nishimura Wase. Hopefully, some fruit holds, and I get seeds this year.

This tree was grafted in 2019, and planted out later that summer. Thankfully it looks to be making a vigorous comeback from the damage.

4 Likes