Hybridizing stone fruits

I decided not to grow any out this winter. But my three crosses that are going on 2nd leaf now are all Indian Free seeds.

1 Like

A Nectariumcot in the making: I pollinated these Flavor Top Nectarine flowers with Shakar Pareh Plumcot pollen: IMG_20180322_182910735|690x920

3 Likes

Im now pretty sure that this Nectarine seedling has apricot in its parentage as it looks very different from its siblings.

2 Likes

What looks different?

2 Likes

The leaves are wider.

Calired.

4 Likes

Calired is changing colors.

2 Likes

Here it is again, my Flavor Top Nectarine seedling which I believe it has apricot in its parentage.

What do you all think?

1 Like

I think the leaf looks pretty,but I want to know what the fruits taste like

1 Like

It will probably fruit in 2020.

I also pollinated Nanking cherry flowers with F1 Moorpark apricots, so hopefully, I get hybrids.

2 Likes

My latest project that I’m working on is hybridizing Flavor Top Nectarine, as the seed parent, with Flavor Queen Pluot, pollen parent.

The interesting part is that the the flowers that I pollinated with Flavor Queen Pluot pollen developed into fruit, while the rest that were left for open pollination didn’t.

Same thing happened last year, I pollinated them with apricot pollen and they developed into fruit. I also left a couple of thrm to pollinate with my neighbor’s peach and they developed into fruit while the rest didn’t.

4 Likes

My Nectarcot seedling.

On Instagram, I saw a picture of Nectarcot leaves and they resemble exactly like that of a Nectarine, while Collins Orchards, the leaves resemble like that that of an Apricot.

I’m curious to see what the leaves of a 50/50 apricot x nectarine hybrid from different breeder look like. I’ve seen that the fruit look like an apricot but with the seed of a Nectarine.

2 Likes

Luna peachmond from a rooted clone.

5 Likes

Have you all noticed that these peach hybrids mostly resemble like their peach parent?

Luna Peachmond. Peach x almond. Benitez.

Citation. Peach x plum. Zaiger.

Calired. (Peach x almond) x Unknown pollen. Benitez.

Nectarcot. Nectarine x Apricot. Benitez.

Rootpac 70. (Prunus persica x Prunus davidiana) x (Prunus dulcis x Prunus persica). Pinochet.
Rootpac 70

Rootpac 40. (Prunus dulcis x Prunus persica) x (Prunus dulcis x Prunus persica). Pinochet.
Rootpac 40 (1)

1 Like

My proprietary Calivert Interspecific Rootstock, a (peach x almond) x Unknown pollen cross.

2 Likes

Great work! I am so impressed. There are far too few people who grow anything from seed and even less who try to breed something new.

itheweatherman, how long does it usually take to go from planting the seed until fruit? My stone fruit normally take 3 or 4 years and I want to know if this is too long or about right.

2 Likes

I hope this is a minor tangent from the topic but I’m asking here because of the hybrid topic and knowledge of the posters. My question is this cross considered a hybrid or something else? Last year I controlled pollinated a Moonglow pear flower with pollen from a Korean Giant pear. I only got six seed and then only three germinated. Just wondering if this is a hybrid or something else. Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

Yes its a hybrid of pyrus communis and pyrus pyrifolia. Any time the parents are different species names they are hybrids. A nectarine/peach cross is not a hybrid because peaches and nectarines are now considered the same species (they were not at some point in the past).

4 Likes

Yes, it would be a hybrid.

1 Like