Hybridizing stone fruits

Thanks

Thank you

@itheweatherman i canā€™t wait to see fruit from your non almond hybrids. will any befruiting this year?

1 Like

I agree with the other replies, a hybrid under the biological definition is a cross of two species.

Also, when growing vegetables or raising livestock, people often use the term hybrid to mean when two varieties have been crossed. An example is when two varieties of tomatoes are crossed people will call the resultant plant a hybrid.

The fact that most vegetables and livestock are already hybrids of several different species is a story for another time.

1 Like

Same thing with my fruits, 3-4 years.

My f2 Nonpareil almond seedling fruited this year, but the fruit fell off.

A yellow peach x white peach is called a hybrid, while a peach x plum cross is called an Interspecific hybrid.

3 Likes

I made this Aprium-peacharine Margarita with Summer Delight Apriums and my proprietary Sunrose Peacharines.

7 Likes

Has anyone gotten an interspecific hybrid from Indian free peach?

1 Like

I like my Sapalta (compact tree form)( get Sapalta not Sapa) the best fruit so far ā€¦also nice because they produce fruit surprisingly early in the season. I have 7 ā€œManorā€ (bush form spreading outward from low down)ā€¦but only one of them is red insideā€¦the other 6 are greenā€¦mislabelled :persevere:.a big problem with chums as there is conflicting info on what some of these fruits look likeā€¦I have 2 Kappa (compact tree form) but have not had enough fruit /fully ripe fruit to judgeā€¦I think it is a good oneā€¦but not sureā€¦I would pass on Compass (compact tree form)ā€¦makes ā€œa good pollenizer,ā€ but itā€™s not required for decent pollination so why bother ?. itā€™s skin is too astringent and it is very late compared to the othersā€¦not worth growing. Convoy (columnar-ish tree sort of bush like/tree like) is niceā€¦it has a similar fruit colour to Compass but much better fruitā€¦fire engine red with yellow inside. All chums have some astringency in the skinsā€¦Sapalta gets so deliciously sweet with a very dark cherry colour inside like a sweet cherryā€¦almost blackā€¦that you will forget all about the skinā€¦I think itā€™s skin is the mildest anywayā€¦ Manor(the true Manor with red inside) and Kappa I have had to fight the chipmunks for so I have to reserve judgement until I get a proper few that are fully ripe to confirm the quality. I have 2 Nadia which have sweet cherry parent unlike the others that have sandcherry parentā€¦and if you have eaten (eastern) sandcherriesā€¦they are sweetā€¦you know itā€™s fruit but there really is no flavour at all to speak ofā€¦thus the chums have little if any cherry flavourā€¦mainly plum flavourā€¦I have not had fruit off the Nadia yet but they are reported to have somewhat more cherry flavours than the ones with sandcherry parentageā€¦but not much more from what I have read(note Nadia is only hardy to zone 5 while the others are hardy to zone 2 or 3 ) I planted 2 Opata this year but no fruit yetā€¦I am hoping that they donā€™t turn out to be the same as the mislabelled ā€œManorā€ā€¦that are not Manorā€¦because whatever those areā€¦(Oka ? I donā€™t know)ā€¦I donā€™t need/want any moreā€¦they are unremarkable. You may have to thin the fruit to avoid having branches loaded down with tons of small fruit that donā€™t ripen in due time and then rot. Flowering and fruiting can be really excessiveā€¦wonderful fragrance in bloomā€¦also gorgeous darkred/plum coloured leaves in the fall.

1 Like

I have two Indian Free hybrids growing in some containers and are entering into dormancy now. Looking forward to possible fruit production from them in 2020. Probable pollinator, Mid Pride Peach.

5 Likes

My Nectarine x Almond hybrid bloomed, but the flowers fell off. I grabbed the branches so I could take a perfect picture and then I let it go and the flowers fell off.

2 Likes

Here are some project photos. The first one is a third leaf Nadia cross, grown from a pit, blossoming in a container. It is showing signs of producing fruit, will update later.

The following are photos showing a Candy Heart cross grown in the next container over last summer, late July 2019. The flavor of this fruit similar to Candy Heart, watermelon like, but has added citrus like acidity improving the flavor. My friend tasted an orange flavor in it. A small amount of jam made with some of them has a blackberry overtone taste to it. The most interesting and rewarding part of gardening is growing out fruit tree crosses.

13 Likes

The Nadia cross is showing signs of fruit set, below, as are all three Candy Heart crosses.

They are also setting fruit as grafts on a small blossoming Burgundy plum tree shown below.

9 Likes

Whatā€™s the pollen parent?

My hope is Candy Heart.

I came across this yesterday, and thought it might be relevant to the subject.
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/gibberellic.html
I hope it is useful to someone. I will probably buy some to play around.

1 Like

With stone fruit seed germination is not much of an issue. Although GA is very useful stuff for many reasons. Iā€™m trying it out to increase grape size, and to set more fruit on tomatoes.

I finally saw a true peach x apricot hybrid from a friend from overseas. The leaves resemble similar to that of citation rootstock but wider.

2 Likes

Hey Ulises, you are the only person that I have seen that has had luck rooting stone fruit. Do you use rooting hormone or how do you do it? Thanks!

2 Likes