I need some support to take a right decision

I started bush cucumber couple weeks ago with intention to try if it possible to produce some winter cucumbers indoors. I have 12’’ pot, where I seeded 2 seeds thinking to remove the weakest one. Now I just can’t do it - both are perfect. So I started to think, may be 2 will be fine there. I know it is not good to have two in a such moderate volume pot, but still can’t just snip one

of them. Which one would you choose to go away?

Snip or stick one in another pot, you have to seperate regardless how you do it.

1 Like

You get so many cucumbers from one plant. Just snip one off in another week or 10-days. I would cut the one with the least thickest stem or if they’re both the same size stem diameter, then cut off the shortest of the two.

Dax

1 Like

@thepodpiper, repoting is not an option, the root system should be already pretty wide, attempt to take one out may disturb another one as well. So snip only. Thanks!
@Barkslip, yes they almost identical. I think one on the right is as little shorter. I guess we have a candidate. :slight_smile:, thanks!

It is still very much an option, it would not hurt either one to pull them apart.

1 Like

Snip the one on the right.

Sure thing @galinas

Also @thepodpiper is right in that you could move one to another container. However, if you don’t need two then continue with your plan. Also, there’s never a rush - so wait a week or 10-days and remove the weaker.

Dax

You probably still have some time before you need to snip, wait a little longer to see if one really takes off for you.

Thank you, guys! You helped me to be strong :grinning::grin:

I think you’ll get as much or more yield leaving both as compared to one. And leaving two is insurance in case one has issues going forward. I’ve got 9 figs planted in a 25 gallon fabric pot. I know the yield will be as good as just having one average producer.

But let me ask you this first, how many fruits do you expect off one plant? If just a few I’d agree thin to one. If more than a few from one then leave both. When growing melons I don’t want plants that produce nothing due to over crowding because that plant is just a weed. But if all the plants will produce one or more fruits then having a higher density of plants usually increases total yield. I base this on many yrs experience with many crops.

1 Like

Galina,

Are those partenocarpic cucumbers? If not, then you need two for pollination and you’ll need to hand pollinate them indoors. I would leave both and replant in the larger volume pot later if needed.

Ideally I want to get couple cucumbers a day - this is all we need in winter. Actually, I have two pots planted, one was for a friend, but she doesn’t want to bother to set up lights in her nice living room :slight_smile:. I may try to keep one untouched, and thin a second one. Experiment it is! Thanks!

They are not partenocarpic, but I never thought you need two different plants for hand pollinating. When I do it with my zucchinis undercover, I just take male flower, remove the petals, and merry the rest to female one. Do I really need two plants?

I am not 100% sure, but I always thought so. At least it will improve the chances for successful pollination.

I see no downside to leaving both plants.

1 Like

Overcrowded roots are not prime conditions, with that being said you will probably get the same harvest with one or two plants in the container because one plant will produce at least twice as much as two because it has better root structure.

1 Like

OK, according to Internet search, cucumbers are self-fertile, meaning you can use male flower from the same plant to pollinate female one.
selfpollinating-cucumbers

Thank you, Galina. It is good to know in the future.

Temperature outside is falling by the hour, so I decided to forget about my trees and concentrate on veggies. So I want to do some update. I ended up to never remove any of two plants… And what I see now is kind of amazes me. These cucumbers were seeded Jan 30. So today they are exactly 30 days. It is about the age I usually transplant my cucumbers form their pots to the garden. Looking at THESE cucumbers I can’t imaging how would I transplant them if I need to. Here they are now:

Every leaf node is full of future blooms. They are climbing up. I never had starters to grow that fast. I guess they got scared of me removing one of them and just do their best to stay. :grin:

6 Likes