IBA (rooting hormone) for grafting?

Better a small sample size than none. Over the years evidence will become more conclusive.

You mean each node is an independent graft?

Yes, 3 grafts, one from each node. Single node grafts.

1 Like

I wanted to provide an update on this thread.
I made 6 grafts in total from 2 rare cuttings (Oro, Sangue Dolce) with 3 nodes each.
I treated 2 out of 3 of the scions with IBA.(total 4) Third one of each kind was untreated.(total 2)

I made 2 other grafts on the same day (Genovese Nero, Hative D’Argentuiel). I used IBA on them both.

I now have 5 out of 6 grafts in set 1 budding out. Both grafts in set 2 are budding out. Only one graft hasn’t yet budded out. It coincidentally happens to be the one that I didnt use IBA on. But it may still make it. I dont see a bud on it. It may be latent or may have been non existent. If there was no bud to start with, maybe it would have never made it anyway and the test is inconclusive.

The 4 IBA treated scions also appear to be further along than the one other untreated that also budded out

At a very minimum we can conclude that IBA does not harm the graft and might even be beneficial.

Further, It seems that scions treated with IBA might take faster than those untreated ones.
Another datapoint:
I made one graft a month ago and then another of the same variety (Genovese Nero AF). The scion wood pieces were even cut out of the same original cutting with a 15 day gap between them. The newer GN-AF graft appears to have caught up to the one grafted earlier. But it is still early.

I will provide pictures in a future post.

That is some good infos. Ramv, are you doing all of them with cleft graft technique?

Tony

I did some cleft but most with W/T since the scion was so short (< 1 inch!) and didnt want to cut the bud off.

I probably do some fig grafting here in a couple of weeks. Some of the potted figs in the sunroom starting to show green tips. I probably ended up doing the cleft graft technique for a quick turnaround. Btw, did you had the chance to taste any rare figs yet like Figo Preto, Black Madera, Pt Tresa, or I 258. Are they live up the the rave?

Tony

I am growing Black Madeira in my grow room currently. I am attaching some photos.
I haven’t tasted I258, or Ponte Tresa etc.
Black Madeira is definitely worth growing for its intense flavor (very sweet and very strong berry flavor) and great productivity. It is also a fast grower. My 8 month old tree rapidly filled out a 10 gallon pot and has produced over a dozen ripe figs so far. There are many more on the way.

4 Likes