Hi! It’s cornelian cherry, Cornus mas
 :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

i agree. Wish i could grow those here

3 Likes

I have two plants
 but no fruits for now.

2 Likes

Thank you. My daughter texted me with the question. I told her I’ll find out from the forum members :smile:

2 Likes

i grew a couple from way back when, but fruits were really sour, and the baby trees died after a 113f thermal onslaught. One study showed it having more antioxidant activity than jujubes, which says a lot. Btw, i was wondering if you may have tried a cultivar that is more sweet than sour?

3 Likes

I have the Schönbrunner Gourmet Dirndl variety

Kornelkirsche Schönbrunner Gourmet Dirndl (Pflanze)

Deaflora - Kornelkirsche Schönbrunner Gourmet Dirndl

8 Likes

looks really nice!

2 Likes

They clame they are sweet and big
 :yum:

1 Like

keep me posted! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have yet to taste them. I have 3 or 4 seedlings growing in 2 gallon pots.

2 Likes

Persians (Iranians) call them tart cherries and use them to make jam. They’re highly sought after by this group of transplants so if you don’t care for them, make up some jam n find a Persian grocery store, or sell them on Etsy.

4 Likes

When they have softened, they are delicious. They must be fully ripe or after several days storage.

Most of their roots are close to the ground and must be protected from sun especially in young stage.
Even in my condition Cornelian cherry suffer a lot from summer heat and I must apply heavy mulch and irigate regularly. But it’s worth the effort - healthy, delicious fruits, disease- and pest-free - like jujube!!!

2 Likes

and like jujus, cornus lumber is of high quality if you like woodworking

i will give cornus another go next spring, hoping to get a cultivar that is palatable and resilient to vegas conditions. Intend to plant it at the north side of our property, for summer protection.

3 Likes

http://cornusmas.eu/catalogue/cornelian-cherry?lang=en-GB

This is one European nursery with many rear fruits, including cornelian cherry. I bought two cultivars from them - Elegantny (still no fruits) and Koralovyj Marka (small fruits, but similar to cherry taste).
I have also two bulgarian cultivars with big fruits and several seedlings with small fruits, but very prolific.
Must make some pictures.

3 Likes

hopefully more of avium cherries and not cerasus. The cornus got to try were still sour even at the soft stage.

have been looking at http://www.whitmanfarms.com/category/allplants/ornamental-plants/dogwoods/cornus-mas/ and will try the 'big fruit and ‘sunrise’ cultivars, The proprietor insinuated that the latter does not need processing and ‘definitely edible’, if that was intended to be a flattering description, yikes!
could be that the cultivars imported into the americas are not as good as those currently available at european nurseries

4 Likes

I had two varieties for about three years, but one didn’t make it through the past very cold winter. The other was damaged by the cold, but seems to be recovering. We will see how it does next spring and then either try to graft or order another. I think the one that died was Sunrise.

1 Like