Identify this plant

I stopped and picked one cause I thought it was Elderberry. I noticed them blooming alongside the highway in many places from Dade City to maybe as far N as Ocala.

Can you identify?

3 Likes

Looks like an elderberry to me. To be sure, would need to see the ovary position (should be inferior), and how many leaves attach to the stem at the node (should be two - opposite leaves). You should also have flowers dropping off, complete with all petals and stamens as a group.

2 Likes

Looks like Asclepias incarnata (there is a white variety), or some closely related type of Milkweed.

Reminds me of the “7 sons flower”–heptacodium. (But it blooms in July-Sept.)

1 Like

The leaves, the flowers, everything match my elderberry that is profusely flowering right now.

2 Likes

This is 100% elderberry.

2 Likes

I do not think that is 7 sons flower tree (You are correct about it not blooming now) but what an amazing tree 7 sons flower tree is! Huge nectar producer and amazing tree that almost went extinct, rescued from a small mountainous region in china!

2 Likes

Yes–heptacodium, and tetradium, are good nectar producers at a time of the year other things may be scarce.

3 Likes

Can anyone ID this plant ?
Blooming now in southern Ohio.
IMG_0018

Another photo of the flower .

1 Like

Is it one of the tarweeds?

Tar weed ?
I don’t know?
I have trouble going through the keys with composite flowers.
Hoping someone is familiar with it

Pityopsis graminifolia Maybe or Heterotheca ?

1 Like

I could use some of those here, thanks for the info!

My interests in This unkown unkown yellow flowering plant is that it is blooming now at the end of October .
Attracting and feeding pollonaters" NOW " in southern ohio when nothing else is giving them a last good meal this late in the year.
I don’t have direct access to this plant .
It was found by a friend ,said to be buzzing with insects.

They knew i have an interest in plants that attract beneficial insects.
It was only found in this parking lot area.not in the surrounding area.
So likely planted .
( or the seeds fell off a car radiator)
I think it could be good addition to my pollonator habitat here.
But !
I have learned more than once to not bring plants home just because they have pretty flowers. With out identifying them first.
I have not noticed it in this region before.
A close up of the lower leafs .