Importance of spreading(preserving) fruits. Ideas?

So just a thought…
One of my goals is to help preserve good things.
By growing and sharing, spreading.
My #1 focus is hybrid persimmon. And improved American.
#2 is disease resistant pear and apple. Or maybe Jujube… So many other things.
To reinforce the importance of that, we see things hace went on in Crimea, and now we have dangers with Ukraine, well we all know they have produced some great stuff like hybrid persimmons… Some of that could get lost so easily…
Just look at the Alderney milk cow, it was one of the three isolated Channel Island milk cow breeds, likely the best milk heavy cream etc and a lean meat, the other two being Jersey and Guernsey. But when the Nazis took their island, the Alderney got ate to extinction…
That is disappointing isnt it?(I want some!!)
If only they had been preserved in other parts of the world!
So, on things like these amazing apples and persimmons and pears and plums and etc so many great things there is such a great need to spread, establish, and preserve them!
On Ideas:
One of mine: I hope to grow out the hybrid persimmons and then provide them good hybrid pollen and then seed them in numerous neglected creek bottoms in my region and maybe eventually get hybrid genetics established in the wild for preservation.

2 Likes

Paul, have you looked through the Slow Food Foundation’s “Ark of Taste”? It’s an extensive list of traditional foods (including numerous edible plants) from around the world that they regard as worthy of preservation.

https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/what-we-do/the-ark-of-taste/

"In Afghanistan the grapes are stored for up to six months, kept fresh in airtight mud-straw containers. Afghans developed this method of food preservation, which uses mud-straw containers and is known as kangina, centuries ago in Afghanistan’s rural north.

Mechanism
According to Associate Prof Jean Hunter of Cornell University, “From a food science perspective this would be considered passive controlled-atmosphere storage. Grapes and other fruits are composed of living cells which use oxygen and produce carbon dioxide and water vapor. Slow gas diffusion through the clay envelope supplies enough oxygen to keep the grapes alive, while the high CO2 concentration inside the package inhibits their metabolism and suppresses fungal growth. Water vapor loss is also slowed by diffusion, keeping the grapes from drying out, while the clay and straw presumably absorb any liquid water which would promote bacterial spoilage. Really interesting technology”

3 Likes