In search Jujube seedling souce

Does anyone know of a good source for bulk Jujube seedlings, most interested in sour Jujube for rootstock at the moment. I believe maybe that is the spinosa variety. I would certainly entertain other varieties though.

3 Likes

@39thparallel propogates jujube but in general jujube seedlings are not cheap or easy to find. I’m not sure if he would have any left https://39thparallel.com/ . The website does not have a fraction of his inventory.

3 Likes

You might have better luck finding geese that lay golden eggs.

Good luck!

2 Likes

yeah, it is sadly still frustrating finding reputable sources. Especially in bulk!

we intend to give away juju pits to 5 people this winter. Merry xmas! If you’re interested in being recipient #1, PM us your address :slight_smile:

if you’re in a warm area of usa, and you want to propagate from seed using a named cultivar, burntridge’s contorted is quite prolific with decent seed viability, and generally produces babies that have the cosmetic feature(in varying degrees of crookedness). It is what will be sending, and throw in some sihong juju seeds, plus spinosa-types, and some xu zhou and vegas baby

btw, please post request here as it is first-come first-served, so people know once the offer is all spoken for

5 Likes

Dibs on being #2

2 Likes

btw, reserving recipient#1 for @Mulleteer unless he/she defers the offer. So just now only have #3, 4, and 5 available

1 Like

How many are expecting for “bulk” quantity? How old/size do you want them to be?

2 Likes

I assume more than 10 would be considered bulk. I was looking for about 20-30 myself, 1-2 years.

1 Like

you’d definitely get more than that on our little giveaway(minimum of 50 pits). Will be sending pits(or whole dried jujus with the pulp still around the pits), btw, which may be platned straightaway. But if you’re in a hurry, probably best to extract seeds from the pits.

2 Likes

Looking to be recipient #3. Thank you.

2 Likes

jujubemulberry:

I would love to be on that list. Sadly I am just getting started and have very little to offer in return.I do have a few pecans that I could get a little budwood and I am supposed to recieve some persimmon seedlings. If you need either. of those.

thanks a ton
Good fishing
Mulleteer

2 Likes

I will have a few dozen small Jujube seedlings this Fall / Next Spring. Anyone interested send me a PM Jujube are not difficult to propagate or Graft. The real issue is harvesting / storing and shipping jujube trees when they reach any significant size.

4 Likes

pls don’t feel obliged-- we are probably happier giving them away, than you are happy receiving them!

hopefully can give them away in larger amounts, and to more people :slight_smile:

1 Like

don’t forget to pm us your mailing address

1 Like

What varieties of Jujube are they?

1 Like

I was hoping to find 50- 100 small seedlings and maybe 25 - 50 in the 24 inch range.

1 Like

mostly contorted(the strain from burntridge nursery) and spinosa-types. Will also add some sihong, vegas baby, and xu zhou

1 Like

Interested in a few seeds, and would love to have a few of them as dried fruit as I haven’t tasted any from my honey jar /sugar cane yet. I would be sharing the taste test with @urbangardener as well to try and make another jujube convert :wink: Will pm my address.

3 Likes

okie-dokie, you are recipient #4. Will send them this year or early next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The hardy seedlings I have of yours can survive the colder zones because they survive on my property on their own. That makes those seedlings and seeds gold to someone like me in zone 6a. The trees I got from edible landscaping winter kill to the ground and come back up. Jujube are not easy to raise here. Once I get seedlings in the next few years I will let you know as they will be even hardier than the parents as they adapt. Like the apples and other things you have got from me you know what I will do with them and what my goals are.