Indoor Fig Grafting - Rooted Cuttings

I was not planning on bringing in my rooted cuttings for the winter, but they sat accidentally in water for a long time so I placed them in the grow room without any light. Apparently the warmth, despite the lack of light, kicked them I to high gear and a few weeks later they started budding. Since the outdoor plants are dormant at this time, would I be able to graft some scions or buds onto the rooted cuttings, or are they to small/young?
Would be nice to have multi variety plants before they are planted out later in the year.

2 Likes

For clarity, you’re saying they’re one year old plants started from cuttings last winter? If so, yes, you can graft onto them. I did that earlier this winter under lights and the grafts took and are growing no problem.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve done this. It works great.

What method did you use?

I used a saddle graft made with a tool: raggett topgrafter that I recently acquired. There is a long thread about a similar tool on this forum. Search for zenport.

I ordered a Zenport last week and it arrived yesterday. So I’ll be using that.
Thanks.

1 Like

Remember that a grafted scion that breaks bud needs light and as much as possible or it withers away.

Dax

1 Like

2 1/2 weeks Cleft graft got fillet. I-258

Tony

2 Likes

That’s one I want: I-258. Will get one someday.

Congrats,

Dax

1 Like

Good to know. The pots are under T5 bulbs so that should work. I probably need to do bud grafting on most as there is only one branch ATM and they’re thinner than any branch I can find on the Olympia I’m grafting on to them.

One day I’d like the I-258 and Black Madeira as well. This is just the beginning :wink:

1 Like

Is that a breba I see forming, Tony? The breba do not form very often for me, but are delicious when they do. You are a very proficient horticulturalist.

2 Likes

Yep. I can’t wait until it ripen.

1 Like