Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Went away last Sunday this tree ( sugar maple) looks fine. Came back this is what I’ve got. Any ideas?

Wow, that was fast. I would burn that just for safety precautions.

1 Like

Good idea. I’m going to pull it and burn it. Damn… I love maples. I think 8 b is kind of a hot zone? I was shocked

yeah. i would think a maple wouldn’t stand a chance in the south. :wink:

I have some RED Maples that are doing well. They are much more heat tolerant and a native tree. The Sugar was pushing it. I have three left that are shaded. They look pretty good so far. Time will tell…

Any ideas what might have caused it?

we have lots of both here. red likes wetter spots. not sure what killed that one. id say heat stress?

1 Like

Any ideas???

1 Like

Don’t know exactly the name.but it’s a caterpillar that will turn into a butterfly

2 Likes

All fuzzy caterpillars turn into moths. My mom volunteers at a butterfly house… Did a little hunting and think it could be a salt marsh caterpillar.

2 Likes

puggylover, I see you are in California. It would be very helpful to know what plant that is and if the caterpillar was actually feeding on it.

There is a dark form of the salt marsh caterpillar, but there are many other arctiid (Tiger) moth larva that look very similar.

The caterpillar could also be described as bristly or spiny (a Woolly Bear caterpillar is fuzzy). Many butterfly species have such caterpillars. The Mourning Cloak is one example, here is a more extreme example: Little Metalmark - Calephelis virginiensis - BugGuide.Net

2 Likes

It was picking apples and it was on the ground under the tree. Not sure if I knocked it out of the tree or if it was just passing by. I did not see any leaves that were eaten or anything but it is a decent size tree so I could have easily missed something. I did set him free… hopefully he isn’t a bad one. :blush:

Found these in my yard. I have a feeling not beneficial bugs…

2 Likes

First one is a green blob and second one is spotted lanternfly.

4 Likes

The First One: Though the picture is blurry I can see that it is a planthopper (Acanalonia) of some sort facing downward.

3 Likes

Yes, it has the general shape of a planthopper.

2 Likes

Found this cocoon on an apricot a couple days ago, and have previously found a couple on a pecan (which I squashed). It looks uncomfortably like a bagworm cocoon with the chunks it has in it, but is not very big - under an inch, and I read that bagworm cocoons are a couple inches, plus they normally like evergreens. Just thought I’d see if anyone else knew what it was, before it also gets squashed. I’d hate to keep squashing a good bug. (I’m in Omaha, zone 5b, by the way)

2 Likes

Anyone can identify?

Tomato Hornworm, if you ever see these cocoons on them then leave them be, they are parasitic wasps that will kill the caterpillar and then hatch to lay eggs on others.

4 Likes

Definitely a bag worm. Although they prefer evergreens, they are known to try what is available.

1 Like