Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Anyone recognize the creeps? THey look like some sort of spider ant hybrid. Saw them on my eggplant yesterday and on watermelon leaves tonight. Sprayed them with Neem oil last night and they scattered but seemed like it didn’t do much else. Very hot weather recently (103 today) here in the Sacramento area.
Hopefully they are beneficial but either way they give me the willies. Sorry for the picture quality as these were taken at night.

They look sort of like my milkweed aphids.

1 Like

I looked up milkweed aphid and assasin bug (zelus longipes) came up and that looks to be it.
From what I’m reading it looks to be a beneficial that eats caterpillars such as the fall army worm (a corn pest).
Guess I’ll need to let these creepos hang out

1 Like

They are beneficial if they are the milkweed aphids. Let them do their own thing. See what happens.

1 Like

They could also be leaf-footed bugs.

1 Like

Found this guy on an apple tree. Best I could find is maybe a hister beetle but I’m not sold. Any help would be great. He’s in quarantine till we find out the results of the trial.

1 Like

The TangTang insects are assassin bug nymphs, the arched back is distinctive.

3 Likes

SlateBeltScott: elytra seem too full-length for histerid type beetle. I will study it some more. Also, a barcode does not make a good scale as they are printed at different sizes. I am guessing your beetle is 1/4 - 3/8 inches long?

2 Likes

Hi Larry, yeah it’s about 1/4. I realized I should have had something to scale it with, but then I got sidetracked.

I used a insect id website to try to find a match and wasn’t really happy with any of the results so thanks for looking.

Looks pretty close to a steely beetle.

Steely beetle, better known as Grape Flea Beetle, like all other flea beetles, has longish thread-thin antennae, unlike the short, clubbed antennae in the above image. Beetle in image lacks any iridescence and has elytra striations, two more differences.

Hard to ID these little dark plain beetles. It is more similar to a fungus beetle, where on the tree was it found?

2 Likes

This was found on a leaf but didn’t see like active feeding was going on.

I do have grape flea beetles on my property and this guy looks just a bit different. Our flea beetles are a little more oblong and the green iridescence is really obvious.

I did find a flea beetle and tried to get a side by side comparison.

Not the best but they wouldn’t stay still…

They’re the nymphs of one of the true bugs. I think that kind eats plant juices and not insects, but I don’t know.

1 Like

Anthracnose? First two and last pic are Hosui pear and middle two are multi-Euro pear.
If so, what controls if any are necessary? Horticultural oil? I’ve been reluctant to spray due to the 106 degree multi day heat wave. Should cool down tomorrow but 50% chance of rain on Saturday. I’ll try to put a horticultural oil spray on regardless after the chance of rain.
Thoughts?

SlateBeltScott: Yes, your first of two images show all the differences I described.

Fungus beetles would hang out near or under the bark, or other fungus-y spots.

I keep going back and forth on this and now I’m thinking that @hoosierbanana is on to something and that these may be leaf-footed bug nymphs. They look so similar to the zelus longipes nymph (assassin bug) that it is hard to tell. But now I’m seeing them cluster on my ripening cherry tomatoes and possibly feeding on the juice.

2 Likes

Please help me id what is going on my espalier apple tree (Fiji, Honeycrisp, Liberty). (1) I think I see cedar rust. Orange spot. I had lots of it last summer. I just removed leaves and sprayed three time with: dormant oil in winter, copper, serenade And Bonide been oil with unk fungicide.
(2) I think I see scales which the ants are loving. Should I let ants do what they do? Or should I remove ?
(3) finally I see a leaf all curling up with no scale in sight.

Any of my ids correct? The rust bothers me the most.

The insects look like Rosy Apple Aphids.A soap/oil spray to smother them should work.bb

2 Likes

Oh good ! THANK YOU!

My new Granny Smith apple tree isn’t looking so hot. Can anyone help me identify what this disease is?

image image image