Insect in France

My dog was scratching in a pot saucer today. This is what she found. A palm beetle or weevil. It came out of the soil of my new peach tree. Have a look at this. An inch and a half long!

I have never seen one of these before. I believe it is an Asian Palm beetle. Ugh!

5 Likes

Looks like something from a mechanized army battalion.

3 Likes

Looks like it. I don’t know what threat they pose.

PS there are roughly 400,000 species of beetles in the world… They comprise about 40% of all insects.

3 Likes

@mrsg47

Would not want them near my palms if i had a date orchard Rhynchophorus ferrugineus - Wikipedia

1 Like

the rusty red beetle battalion! :wink:

2 Likes

I take it, a really bad guy!

1 Like

Poured drops of the only insect killer I could find!

I’ll venture the larvae was in your soil.

1 Like

Yes…soil in a bag!

1 Like

Not all beetles are necessarily bad. I’m not sure that one is.

You don’t need insecticides, by the way: liquid soap is all you need. Insects breathe through their skeletons and soap clogs their pores in a way that plain water does not.

I wish this were true.

"“This species of red palm weevil is reported to attack 19 palm species…and is the worst such pest in the world.” (quoting from the above Wiki link)

Necessarily bad if you grow date palms.

2 Likes

Liquid soap, diluted, is not very effective against adult beetles when sprayed, but they will readily drown if placed in a container of it. Tidier than the crushing method.

2 Likes

I was thinking of that single bug or a small infestation such as indoors, so, yes, it was an off-the-cuff remark with limited relevance. Apologies.

The crushing method worked for me. It was as if I stepped on a glass. The step barely changed the shape of the beetle. It was a tank.

2 Likes

Plus a sense of satisfaction!

2 Likes

Starship Troopers…

2 Likes

What a very strange thing to do. Look, a kind of beetle I haven’t seen before! Let’s assume it’s bad, and kill it. Then ask what it is.

What a world.

I looked it up first, then asked here if anyone knew about it. It is not a good bug. My dog was going to eat it. Not a good idea. It kills palms which we have here.

5 Likes