Is anyone growing a heat tolerant kiwi?

Is anyone growing a kiwi that can handle harsh summers? In I’m central Texas, and we get 40-50 days over 100 degrees each year. I’ve read that kiwis don’t do well in that level of heat. Can anyone recommend a variety that would work?

@JerrytheDragon
There were kiwis farmed in Mentone CA for several decades that tolerated the 100°F+ summer days including the 115°F days in August. But as the saying goes, it is a dry heat (very low humidity). I’m not aware of what cultivars were being grown.

1 Like

The yellow kiwi varieties that Auburn has been promoting have done well east of you at SFA University. They likely have more humidity and a bit less heat there, and fewer spring frosts issues. Do you have frequent late spring frosts? If so, then that is a much bigger deal breaker than heat.

These varieties are supposedly going to become available as tissue culture grown plants on their own roots, but I’m not sure when.

2 Likes

That sounds promising. I will have to look for more information about when they will become available. We have about the same avg last frost date as they do in Nacogdoches, Tx.