Is it possible to cut a suckers new growth and plant?

Is it possible to cut a branch of a cherry tree sucker and get it to grow in the soil, is it possible with the green branches?

i took mine in fall after leaf drop. potted it over winter outside undere the snow and planted it out at a friends house 2 weeks ago. its growing just fine now. was a romeo.

1 Like

i may have read that wrong. above is for a rooted sucker away from the mother. im going to try placing cuttings this fall in my nursey bed to see if they root over winter. did it with my honeyberries and got 90% take. ive read it works for them over winter.

2 Likes

What I did today was just cut a few kinda new branches and placed them in a pot with root hormone will see what happens because the wood was still green as it is still spring

1 Like

At least the branch was greater than 6 inches, I did for wowza I believe

1 Like

Most any sucker that has roots below ground can be cut off with enough roots to start as a separate rootstock. But keep in mind that on cherry unless you know it’s Mazard or some other rootstock variety, when it gets big enough the graft, you will need to graft your desired variety onto it to get cherries!
Dennis
Kent, wa

This tree isn’t really grafted

1 Like

I forgot to mention that you can layer the sucker by bending it over to the ground, scar the lower few inches of bark and cover it with soil keeping about 6” above your soil line. Then this fall your sucker will have its own roots!

1 Like

That’s cool do you think if I made those branch cutting and put root hormone, would those develop roots

I never tried cherry, but with figs or roses it works. Certain types of fruit work better than others, didn’t hurt to try. Mulberry’s are very difficult. That’s why I usually resort to air layering on sea Buckthorne. Just try several methods and you will probably score!
Dennis

1 Like

I read about this, says it works, not every article says it works for softwood but will see