Is the second year's harvest tastier?

This is a general question about any kinds of fruit you may have grown. Last year, I planted Heritage raspberries. I found the taste bland. I ripped most of them out and planted Anne Raspberries (and others). These first few berries are bland too. I tasted my first harvest of a Reliance peach. It was so so.

I have heard rumors that the first harvest you get from a fruit tree/bush may be sub par. It kind of makes sense. The plant may not have as developed a root system, it may be balancing making sweet fruit vs putting out leaves and roots. So, I ask. What as your experience been?

Has your first fruit harvest been blander than subsequent years?

1 Like

In general, no. A few plants, yes. But I suspect it varies a lot by location.

1 Like

You most likely just had an off year. Heritage is pretty good. Some fruits do taste better after a couple years of cropping, but I doubt raspberries.

2 Likes

@izzy4reel @Richard

In Kansas its true things dont taste well the first year at my location usually. It most likely has a lot to do with the fact this is a marginal location really not suited to growing fruit. Some years like this year fruit doesnt taste as well as normal. The weather and soil have everything to do with taste. This isn’t theory it’s fact that fruits have a flavor based on location The 10 Absolute Best Wine Regions In The World . Thats not to say we dont produce delicious pears we do but California really has an ideal climate for fruit. France is known for their wine because of their grapes.

2 Likes

I suspect it’s either insufficient sun exposure, or a nutrient deficiency. For example in my garden if I do not assure an early application of calcium and magnesium, my tomatoes are very flat and have no taste, but if I apply those key nutrients and ample water, there is nothing store bought to compare with them
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

I would say that the first year is not representative of anything but harvest time and is generally, but not always, worse quality fruit.

Early on I’m trying to size up the tree and give it lots of N and water, even during the last three/four week ripening period. Not conducive to top quality fruit.

On the other hand, having relatively few fruit on the tree helps fruit quality —-up to a point.

5 Likes