Is this Summer Delight Aprium growing okay. How to summer prune?

I planted this summer delight Aprium bareroot in the month of May. It had like 8ft tall central leader and a few branches. I headed it and left the two old branches and now its put out a new branch that is almost tall as the old ones and another branch growing up from the sam junction as the previous one after I notched/BAP’d.

I am trying to prune/train when it’s summer to avoid spring infections due to the wet weather in western OR. I understand Apriums/cots are trained open vase - but they fruiting habit is unlike peach since they fruit wherever on the spur and even central trunk. Appreciate some ideas on how to get started managing this tree.

Can you describe your tree setting? Which direction is south, etc.

The tree looks very ‘leggy’, i. e. reaching for the sun.

Is all the branch growth from this year? It needs to be cut back by pruning each of those long branches to 6 inches or so from the trunk, but I’m not sure about doing it now as you would be pruning all your leaves away as well.

Might need to wait till winter to dormant prune and just let this year’s growth store energy for next year.

The branch going towards the fence is facing east and across that pointing west are old branches which added some growth this year. the new branch with bushy lower growth is point north (new branch). There is another small branch growing (about a foot long) where I had notched.

I’d head back the long shoots by 1/3 to 1/2. That will stiffen them up and cause 2-3 new shoots to push on each. The idea is to reduce leverage on the branch and slow it down until it can gain some diameter and stiffness.

6 Likes

I tried pinching the tips on one of the branch and it created a “Y” shape shoots. May be I wasn’t doing it right? what should I do with the laterals on branch.

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow
Steve (fruitnut) is recommending you remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the length of your long shoots. This has a different effect compared to pinching the tips. I highly recommend it.

means the 3 branches coming from the trunk which are approximately 3ft 6", so I’ll remove a 1 foot on each?

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow
You’ll remove 14" to 21" from each.

1 Like

thank you.

Take off enough so that what’s left is stiff, not floppy as they appear. It looks like they need 18-24 inches removed.

2 Likes

Here is how the tree looks now. I have left one shoot/branch/scafold at the lower right without cutting it back since it’s only 16" in length, should I cut it back now? or cut it back once it reaches the same length as other shoots.

2 Likes

Much better!

1 Like

thank you, any more adjustments I could do?

1 Like

Move those berries at least 6’ (8’ preferred) from the base of every fruit tree. At their current location they will be a problem later.

1 Like

I almost don’t recognize it as the same tree!

Looks great now…

2 Likes

@Richard its a Logan berry that I have planted there in a pot for this season. Next season I will dig it out and put it in a different location.

Thank you, this tree was 8ft tall when I purchased it :slight_smile:

It’s a bit of a dilemma really. Trees ship in long, narrow boxes. Nurseries often grow fruit trees on a single leader for ease of transpiration.

If the nursery were to head a tree before shipping, most customers who don’t know any better would wonder what they paid all that money for getting a 3 foot tall tree.

If no one tells customers who don’t know better, I imagine they aren’t always too happy at the end result a few years later of a huge, hard to reach tree.

Toping the dormant tree at planting is really a good practice, assuming the tree is healthy with no issues. It does go against the emotional grain a bit as we remove something that has worked hard at growing, just like removing fruit set on young trees (I did keep one fruit each on my very young 3 on 1 Asian pear at the cost of just a wee bit of vigor to size and ripen them).

I’m sure anyone who has thinned fruit feels a bit angst about every snip of the pruner.

I hope you get all the rhizomes.

In this case I went to OGW which is local to me to get this tree, I am not sure if they would have headed it before shipping. This is the first time I am trying to grow fruit trees and was hesitant to head it right away.