It is time to thin out my Pai Li Asian 🍐

The Pai Li Asian :pear: is loaded as usual and now I have to thin and reduce the fruit load by at least 50%.

16 Likes

Very nice. Have you ever had any FB issues with that one? I have a very young grafted one that hasn’t fruited yet, but it came through the horrible cold just fine, and has always looked very clean, beautiful, and nicely shaped. I’m impressed.

1 Like

Tony,
Asian pears! I thinned at least 70% of 20th Century off but that was obviously not enough. It went biennial again.

Korean Giant has gotten the same treatment and it keeps producing every year (heavy and light on alternate years but always producing)

1 Like

You guys like to keep a lot of fruit. Mine get thinned 90-95%!

Tony, is Pai Li resistant to frost? I remember you mentioned frost damaged a lot of your trees.

2 Likes

If I suggest thinning of 80-90% , people would faint :laughing:

I usually aim at 80%. May need to get up to 90% for 20th century.

1 Like

No FB on Callery rootstock so far.

1 Like

Somehow only one third of the flowers from my Asian pears got fried and the remaining 2/3 of the flowers were spared.

2 Likes

Tony, now that is incredible. You grow such clean fruit! Please be in touch. I miss you!

1 Like

I started my first Callery rootstock grafting with Turnbull giant scion 3 years ago. I added a Maxine delicious 2 years go and an Asian pear last year. I am glad to see that others are using Callery rootstock too with good results.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5

My experience with Pai Li as well Tony they are loaded. Thanks for recommending this variety they produce very quickly. The only downside is ofcourse needing to thin them out. Grafted several branches but no full trees yet.

2 Likes

Pai li is the only Asian pear that can ripened cream soft like European pear. It is so loaded every year.

Tasted great. My wife favorite :heart_eyes:

Tony

12 Likes

Beautiful and massive!!!

1 Like

Tony, that looks like a 2 bite pear! You got a massive tree there, whao!

1 Like

Is that on the tree or on the counter? My Pai Li has still not fruited yet, but I put it in for this very feature.

On the tree or in the refrigerator.

1 Like

Pai Li is honey sweet :yum:

6 Likes

They are a later ripening pear? Those look good. Like lunch box pears.

1 Like

Pai li starting to ripen around the second week of September when the might temperature a bit cooler.

2 Likes