It Rained Yesterday

2 Likes

And I just am so happy that we are in the midst of 5 sunny days in a row (9/10-9/14). This could be the first five rain-free days since end of June.

What a difference our regions make!!

4 Likes

Crazy, isn’t it!

Eastern Washington and Oregon have been monsoonal compared to Portland where we have had 0.08" total rain since beginning of summer, 20 June.

2 Likes

All of us fruit growers have envied those California summes… Now the Northwest finally has one.

Honestly, I failed to adequately compensate with my watering routine and really screwed up my main crop of apricots this year. There is such a thing as too little water…

We got some of @SpokanePeach 's leftover rain last night. It often happens that way. It wasn’t a great deal of water but at least today the air is cleaner and we didn’t feel at risk taking our daily walk!

1 Like

and here we’re getting into a more rainy pattern finally.

1 Like

I got about 1/3 of an inch, was really smoky on Thursday and now it is so much cleaner. Helped with 3 fires that are in the region. I don’t see any sign of them on zoom earth now. Hope it helped with some of the others also, there are so many.

Yesterday AM we had a heavy dew
Not enough to wet the whistle

I visited my brother and sister in law in Vancouver WA a month ago. It was shocking to see every douglas fir in the surrounding forrest burnt brown on the West facing side of the trees. I’ve never seen anything like it.

That west-face burning on the Doug firs was the result of a singular event, a freak heat storm in late June where temperatures reached 116 in Portland. Throw out those 3 extreme days, and summer has been hottish but nothing unusual for the area. We also had record low rainfall for calendar spring.

2 Likes

Yes. Agreed. Still, I’ve never seen anything like the impact of the late June heat wave on vast expanses of forest like that before. Amazing and frightening.

3 Likes

I mentioned that forecast where I am predicting rain-free 9/10-9/14. It was wrong (again). Sunny days lasted only 3 days. Today, 9/13, it has been raining until now. Not heavy but I don’t need any more moisture.

Wish we could split the drought and rain this year between New England and the west coast.

3 Likes

Save some for the midland!

3 Likes

Looks like Minnesota getting some very welcome rain tonight.

2 Likes

I can understand that, but it feels ironic since so many growers here are hurting because of the latest drought.

2 Likes

Agreed. Definitely a bad situation.