It's Finally Raining in California!

In my opinion, fully relieved would mean full restoration of both ground water and surface water. Unfortunately in this cycle we have only seen the latter.

Once upon a time, the Saharan did not reach into eastern Morocco nor into much of Egypt. During that same period, New Mexico and Arizona were grasslands.

1 Like

You know, speaking of weather differences, I just don’t remember growing up as a kid in Orange County having all this “Monsoon” weather in the summer, with such high humidity levels, the muggy weather, thunderheads on the eastern horizon (that rarely make it over the coastal mountains/foothills to us). Think that is so odd. Not sure if I am just not remembering correctly, or if there really is a change in our weather patterns. Our summer “monsoon” mugginess is now the norm every summer for long periods. Which I just hate.

Well, for openers you’re not in Orange County – there are significant topological channels and barriers that separate us from most of Orange County in terms of weather.

Also, my colleagues at Scripps were telling me in the late '90’s that “global warming” (man-made or otherwise) would result in more moisture (not necessarily rain) in San Diego environs, which rarely would reach north of the Palomar lateral. I believe that is what you are noticing.

Okay, good to know I’m not imaging there is a huge difference in summer weather from my childhood in the OC and here and now! I do remember the very rare, occasional thunderstorm in the summer. So, that would have to be that monsoon pattern getting pushed really far west and more north. But, still wouldn’t move back to the OC for anything. We are spoiled rotten here in N. SD county :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember as an elementary school kid some June in Redlands CA, looking in awe at a thunderstorm rising up over the San Jacinto’s and marching through Banning pass … raining down fury on Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and Orange counties. It was 80’s F degrees outside, the rain was bouncing off everything and creeks from the runoff were everywhere.

1 Like

Tomorrow’s rain for Vista CA downgraded to 1/3 inch.

Alan, perhaps another reason this thread is popular is we have many more west-coast members now than ever existed on Garden-Web?

That kind of thunderstorm is part of what drew me to the northeast- after being raised in Arizona and CA. Rain season was my favorite when I lived in the S. CA hills- the great quenching of accumulated thirst.

2 Likes

Are there any efforts being undertaken to improve the ability to store more water .

Is it technologically feasible to pump water back into the aquifers to restore what was taken.

In years like this it would be nice to harvest all of the excess water.
Mike

Not that I’m aware of, Michael. In fact, many of our dams are in need or repair. California needs to funnel funds into improving infrastructure, and our dams and reservoir systems is part of that. We need some rain runoff to keep our coastal ecosystems healthy. But, it would behoove the state to try to add to our reservoir system. That is a major undertaking, as that reclaims land, and puts it under water. Not a very popular idea.

We are actually making some progress in capturing more of the water, but as Patty mentioned, putting new land underwater is a challenge just about everywhere. Between the cost of the land and the decade plus of regulatory approvals, things move awfully slowly here. One LA story from back in January:

Here in Orange County, we’ve made quite a bit of progress as well. We are more famous for our wastewater treatment program (toilet to tap for those opposing such things), but we’re making baby steps of progress on capturing storm water as well.

http://www.waterworld.com/articles/2017/01/orange-county-ca-water-department-hopes-to-use-recent-rains-to-refill-groundwater-basin.html

I’m trying to figure out if I’m allowed to do curb cuts to capture more gutter water flowing down our street, but we’re in an unincorporated part of OC and figuring it out with the county has been a challenge.

Which is all a long way of saying this problem isn’t going away anytime soon – at least until someone can figure out how to economically turn salt water drinking water.

It most certainly is. Injection Wells.

A lower-tech idea some farmers are using is flooding their fields, vineyards, and orchards during the winter and letting the water percolate into the water table.

1 Like

The issue has never been water storage, but instead lack of water to store.

California has an incredible system of aqueducts to transport water throughout the state. This is the first time in years they are not running at 1/4 capacity.

Today’s predicted rain for Vista CA: originally 0.8 inches, then downgraded to 0.34 inches.
Actual rainfall: 0.02 inches.

That’s not even worth measuring. We’ve got about .5" since Sunday. More on the way Friday!

1 Like

I remember a lot more chill here in the Valley as a kid. Fishing at Lake Piru and/or Hanson Dam with lots of frost and bitter cold at Easter time. Yes, the humidity was never a thing here as kids during the Summer. June Gloom was an actual thing, but now we’re apt to get June Gloom at any time.

1 Like

I got at least 1.5" from the latest storm!

3 Likes

@smatthew

I read this somewhere else. I wonder how effective it is but anything that keeps the excess water from washing away into the sea can be a good thing.

Mike

I’m getting excellent fruitset on everything this year, all of this rain has been an absolute blessing. My lawn is really lush and healthy. May this thread live on and on! :rainbow:

3 Likes

@Richard

I was thinking of ways to save all the EXCESS waters that show up in extreme years like this one. If the weather pattern is going to be more erratic then it might be worthwhile if not outright necessary to make plans for larger storage to account for the peaks and valleys in the supply.

Mike