Jaboticaba in Vista CA

Thats possible. CRFG members do pay reasonable attention and care to the orchard, but thats not comparable to that of a home gardener. However, many descriptions I read about this fruit say it tastes like a muscadine grape. That was spot on except for the thicker skin and large seeds.

1 Like

To my knowledge the trees at Prusch receive little more than water. Also, my experience with Jaboticaba fruits grown by CRFG members is a taste and texture something like plum x banana.

1 Like

@Richard I am no expert by any means, but from the research I have done, many growers cite pruning to allow sunlight to reach the trunk can greatly speed up flowering and fruit set. Your pruned tree (in theory) should help a bunch! What is your watering and fertilizing schedule. Also, how did you amend your soil at planting…if at all? My jabos are in pots…

Cheers!

1 Like

I doubt they even receive that apart from whatever visitors dump on them. The soil is bone dry but heavily mulched and fertilized by the roaming chickens! Tons of gopher activity too.

1 Like

Anyone hear from Richard lately?I hope he’s doing okay.bb

3 Likes

Going into year 3 for me on one of these. My tree is about 16 inches tall. Potted in a 3 gal pot. Leaves have been getting a little burned last week or two. (its been outside a month). Are these naturally understory trees?

Given its size and pot size, about how much hollytone (the suggested fertilizer for these) should this little plant receive in order to maximize growth this summer? Any suggestions? I only water it from the rain barrel.

Scott

5/4. Spring foliage.

7 Likes

Wow your jaboticaba looks wonderfull! Congratulations! How many years she have?

14 !

2 Likes

Where do you keep it during the winter, a heated greenhouse?

Got a workshop in the basement that’s not use anymore. Got a led setup for citrus and a few other tropicals.got regular air/heat, keep temps at 68* during winter. Trees go in in Nov/December and out in March/April.

2 Likes

Does yours have leaf tip browning over the winter?

Mine looks ok, but I find that in the Late Feb-early March timeframe is when I find plants struggle. I tend to lose plants during this timeframe (both of my chilean guavas this winter for example).

Scott

Not on the P. cauliflora, but on the P. edulis.

I don’t have that problem. Before they come in I fertilize them with a 3 month trfertilizer. Keep 6gl containers filled with rainwater. Keep soil on the dry side.

1 Like

Jabo was due for a yearly haircut and root pruning and some new medium.
Citrus, figs are also ready to go.

1 Like

Check out Harbor Freight, aka Hazard Fraught, for some really cheap dollies. Also wheels and asters to make your own cheaply

1 Like

I’m jealous! I’ve been collecting subtropicals for close to 15 years in anticipation of building a heated attached greenhouse. Curse of the carpenter being what it is (when it comes to one’s own house), it may never happen. I’ve tried lots of different species and varieties.

I had jaboticaba on my short list of ones to try, as I understand they are very precocious and root very easily. I haven’t had a chance yet though.

The list of successful ones is quite a bit shorter than the list of failures.,Starfruit, guava, strawberry guava, pineapple guava, Ugni, cherimoya, atemoya, loquat, probably others I’m forgetting, all a bust for one reason or another. Citrus, tree tomato totally worthwhile. Figs have lots of potential, though I’ve mot realized it with my present as hoc management and probably less than ideal varieties. Pomegranates, we’ll see. One of the few things my wife is actually excited that I’m growing though, so…

Probably some heat would help with some of these. My basement gets about 38 in the depths of winter. Also I acquired some (ostensibly) 1000 w equivalent LED grow lights this spring for veggie starts (they’re dimmable). Thinking I might run those for a chunk of the winter. They’re pretty awesome, and not terribly expensive thee days, either. I paid -$70 /

How’s yours do @tonyOmahaz5 ? Any fruit yet?

check out www.logees.com I’ve had 2, a ebay seedling and this one, this one grew twice as fast. The ebay one was 5 and started blooming the summer before it died. This one is growing well.

The rest of their catalog is dangerous.

Scott

I’m familiar with Logee’s. Not too far from me, not that I head that way much if ever. I’d like to stop and check it out sometime though. I bought my Fukushu kumquat there. They used to offer something called ‘sunquat’ that sounded really good too

1 Like