Japanese Beetles

I’ll be there in by night fall. Can you put mine on a debit card :moneybag:

Not seeing any on my trees yet but I can sense they are probably scoping the place out…looking for a nice place to feed, breed and lay their eggs.

3 Likes

Those are definitely favorites for them… Followed close by Hibiscus.

1 Like

For me the elm is the first thing they hit followed by rhubarb, grapes, my j plum, opal e plum, and then a few varieties of apples.

Bait tree and @clarkinks retrofit on a 5 gallon bucket.

3 Likes

Tonight I used Dawn. Worked great! Thanks for the tip. Now . . . what am I going to do with all that ‘left over from 1990’ rotgut gin??? LOL

3 Likes

In my yard raspberry/blackberry are their favorite. 2nd favorite aronia, hypericum, cherry.

2 Likes

Definitely happy this bug is eating the JB’s. It had a few victims on the ground below. But kinda scary bug. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

13 Likes

Found the first JB today…ugh. And so it starts…

Start making wine and use it to fill your airlocks!

1 Like

Found the first ones today. Spraying tonight once the oppressive heat dies down. Then handpicking and squishing!

1 Like

Cool, wonder what kind it is!

Very nice trap!

2 Likes

I put the picture into my bug identification app and it saying it could be a Bee Assassin.

Very Cool…just read up on assassin bugs.

Look who showed up in Maine to celebrate the 4th…

2 Likes

GOOD bug!

4 Likes

About a dozen all in my sweet cherry. That is usually the tree I find them in the most.

Should have a trap tree and then treat it with a systematic.

1 Like

They tend to migrate to my pawpaws and hardy kiwi. Even over my roses. I’ve killed close to 50 so far and none have been on my roses. Have heard several people saying they hit there roses. Another reason to plant some pawpaws.

Put out the traps today…only got a few. A little early still and a bit cool for them.

1 Like

They solidly prefer my cherries, too. I hardly look at the other trees.

I think the 5 gallon bucket trap is the best idea, though. Lures work great, but all the normal trap sizes are way too small for the amount of JBs that show up.

1 Like

Hmm, I haven’t seen any on my berries or rose yet in Portland, but I’ll have to keep my eye out.

I love that! Buy one set of traps and it’ll take forever to fill up (hopefully)

1 Like