Jiro Persimmon in Vista CA

2 Likes

Here is pics of some grafting I did on the Jiro Fuyu type persimmon tree, the graftings are chocolate and coffee cake

8 Likes

T-budded? Looked great! Congrats.

1 Like

Yes T-bud thanks @tonyOmahaz5 this was my very first grafting ever!

5 Likes

I Cleft grafted the Chocolate and Coffee cake persimmons onto the top few branches of my potted Tam Tam nonastringent Kaki.

1 Like

I took it a step further and bought a separate Chocolate Persimmon tree.

1 Like

One word of caution, you will probably end up with seeds in your Jiro persimmons if it is paired with a pollinator. (planted without a pollinator it will produce seedless fruit)

1 Like

I saw chocolate for sale here for $70. I never heard of coffee cake. Let me know, curious, if either taste like their names!

Curious cost of your Jiro tree?

Nishimura Wase Kaki. Very tasty Kaki. Dave Wilson Nursery has it.

I think it cost me $39.99 plus shipping cost. Note Dave Wilson nursery don’t sell straight to the public, you have to buy it from any nursery that they sell their products (fruit trees etc.) David Wilson website have a long list of of garden centers and nurseries where you can order your trees from.

It also improves the flavor.

4 Likes

Richard is the flavor improved with seeds or without seeds?

With.

1 Like

Yep,my nursery sells jiro and chocolate from Dave Wilson, but cost full price before tax $69.99. Quite a markup eh? I bought the Jiro only when it had 20% off day. They are over 4’ tall and about the size of a US quarter around, but allother trees Shorty’s sells run about $39.

1 Like

Richard, I believe you about a polinated fruit having a better flavor. Have you tasted the Jiro both ways, and is ot sweeter or more complex? I am just curious how the flavor changes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here on this video they talk about different persimmon varieties, very interesting informative video, check it out!

2 Likes

Here is another video with more information about persimmon varieties!

3 Likes

Thank you Ruben, but this thread is about Jiro Persimmon.

2 Likes

Yes. It has a little more spice and better texture. I believe sweetness is a matter of cultivation and ripeness.

1 Like