Jujube help needed!

I have a new jujube planted barefoot this spring. It’s been looking great with very vigorous growth. Today it looks like this

Had a big storm last night lots of rain on already very moist ground. It looked fine yesterday. There is also a colony of ants in the ground at the base of the tree. They are busy trying to clear their home. Would the ants cause it? Too wet ground? (None of the other trees have any symptoms). Too wet ground on baby roots? (The other jujubes are not recent plantings).

What to do? Open up the ground as I can to let the air in? Dig it up and pot it? (Been in the ground 2 months). Watch it to see if it gets better? Put ant poison out?

It was such a big change overnight.

I am no juju expert but if it was in the ground for two months I would think by now it should have plenty of feeder hairs and it should be a transplant issue

1 Like

It’s roots were pretty good when planted. Just don’t understand the sudden change. The ground is muddy wet but not standing water.

Rain/clouds followed by strong sun can do that. Newly transplanted trees are less well adapted so more susceptible.

1 Like

Sun did come out late this afternoon. Maybe it will look better tomorrow.

1 Like

I would add some diatomaceous earth around the base to discourage/eliminate the ants. It is inert and will have no effect on the plant, but the ants might create problems. I’ve had ants build hills at the root of various veggies and had the plants wilt and die. I assume the ants are building tunnels along the roots which lets them dry out, but I can’t say for sure. Either way, when I see ants making a home at the base of the plant I take action.

3 Likes

I didn’t think about the DE. I’ve got some of that and I’ll put it on there!

Any voles in your area?

1 Like

No.

It’s standing up straight today. Maybe a tad droopy but it’s so windy I can’t tell.

Mine also in the ground from bare root for 2 months. I’m not far from you. This happens quite few times. I guess young bare root jujube tree can’t handle wide temperature swings from cool night to hot sunny day.

4 Likes

Yes, that looks familiar. And that’s exactly the weather we are having. Yours looks a bit further along than mine. We had two nights of frost a couple of weeks ago.

Kathy,
Your tree is trying to tell you that it is confused as heck by your weather :smile:

1 Like

Yes! You got it!
:joy::joy:
We all are actually!