Jujube, is this normal?

If you wife drove like me, she would hit your trees :grin:

1 Like

it is supposedly spelled as ā€œTae Seoul Joā€, at least what Englandā€™s posted it as.

thereā€™s another Tae, mentioned by englandā€™s as ā€œTae Sang Wangā€

had a korean neighbor (las vegas has a sizeable korean populace) from ~three years ago who kindly gave us tae budwood from his potted tree when they sold their house. I donā€™t remember what kind it is, but it fruited on the first year of grafting but lost the label and not sure where it is now on one of our treesā€¦
we have another korean cultivar, ā€œkorean#1ā€ which we obtained from englandā€™s earlier this year and is also just as precocious as the tae.

on the first few weeks of upright growth, you wonā€™t notice any horizontal growth developing, but many, if not all, of the diagonal ā€˜radialsā€™ will ultimately get longer and be weighed down with foliage, and then further bent down with fruits( if any) which becomes the horizontally-oriented stems typical of two to three year old juju trees.
and as @BobVance mentioned, the fruits are the largest of jujus in usa(and maybe china), so the size more than makes up for the high rates of fruit/flower drop.
hereā€™s our shanxi last year with its horizontal branches weighed down with fruits. Globe, li#1, and ga-866 seem to be the runner-upā€™s in size. Redlands seem to be another runner-up in size, at least from what the fruit growth rates weā€™ve observed on our new acquisition.

3 Likes

@BobVance, thats what I sent you. Iā€™m guilty of bad label writing, its best to look at the computer record where I probably got it right.

I have lots of flowers on Tae Seoul Jo this year, weā€™ll see if its precocious for me. I am hoping the Korean ones may be better as the climate there is more like Maryland than many other jujube growing regions.

Saw this from a while back and Iā€™ve experienced this to varying degrees in south central PA. Has anyone pinpointed the problem? Itā€™s odd in that some older plants in some areas of our property seem to get this less, while other areas are more problematic. Anyone able to pin this down to a nutrient issue or a fungal issue? In some years this seems to really set back my plants, especially the younger ones.

Are you talking about the tip burn?

Yes, sorry. The conversation made a turn to discuss some other things. Iā€™ve seen this more on some plants and less on others and was wondering if anyone had pinpointed the cause.

I donā€™t know why it happens but I have it often on some of my trees and never on some of my trees. It didnā€™t seem to be as bad this year and we were having a cold spring with lots of rainy days but it has happened. IMO the larger fruited trees are the ones that seem to have it happen more. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve seen it at all on Honey Jar or Sugar Cane. Redlands # 4 and Li get it a lot. Some of my new grafts this year have been hit with it. Itā€™s very frustrating.

Same here, and yes, Redlands #4, Li, and Shanxi Li do seem to get it. I have a So jujube near them and it seems healthy by comparison. I do have a Shanxi Li at another point in the property and it seems as healthy as can be, though I think it did suffer early on. Perhaps itā€™s a combination of nutrition and the cool/wet springs we have here?

1 Like

Maybe that has something to do with it because thinking about it I have another Li that I donā€™t think has a problem with it. It seems to only occur on faster upright growthā€¦ā€¦much like what you would expect with fire blight.

I wouldnā€™t look for any mysteryā€¦as was mentioned earlier it happens only with newly planted trees and also to some degree plants in containers when exposed to high temperatures. When the root system gets established in the soil this problem disappears.

1 Like

Iā€™m lost on this thread :flushed::joy: Iā€™m not sure who is answering what topic is being discussed. But if you are referring to this burnt tips problem youā€™ll have to define newly planted treesā€¦. Cause this is happening to my inground 5 year old trees. In comparison they are still young trees but it happens to them much more often than my potted stock that is younger. Sorry if you are not referring to that.

Noticed this on my shanxi le and ga866 todayā€¦ very little but just a few leaves with tips browned.

This is 2nd leaf on my jujubes.

I fertilized each with 50 lbs compostā€¦ and a half handful of balanced organic fertilizer in March. Dont think fertilizer is to blame. Could be reaction to very hot temps we had the past couple weeksā€¦ lots of TN sunshine.

They have both grown around 3 ft this year so far and are looking extremely happy other than this.

Does not look worth worrying about to me.

TNHunter