Jujubes- Our New Adventure

I normally would keep my trees shorter. But after I planted them, the city put in landscaping around their water tower, which grew to 10-12 ft. So I let these trees grow above the city landscaping, so they’d get enough sun. It’s hard to harvest the ones up high.

1 Like

Actually, there’s two about that size along the street/sidewalk in Berea KY.

1 Like

Glad to hear it tastes good. The soil where I planted it must be porous and lack nutrient. Its leaves have turned yellow a lot and lot of tip burned. I think it needs more water than I realized. Need to add compost and water more. All flowers turned brown.

By the way, my SC’s sucker set 3 fruit. Excited to find out if those fruit will taste any good.

8 Likes

I just tasted a fruit today from a seedling that is over 2 years old. It’s about the size of a single peanut and tasted okay…just okay…with more tart than sweet. In others words not something you would get excited about. So now that I know what it produces that little tree will become something else next spring. And I’ll wait for another one to fruit. I’m too old for this…

2 Likes

I was hoping you’d get one like Orange Beauty or a Vegas Booty !!!@

3 Likes

Me too!!! Someday…

One thing I love about jujubes is that you don’t need to worry about them getting so tall that you can’t access the fruit. Just a simple shake of a limb by hand or with a pole will cause ripe fruit to drop (I start with a light shake and increase the magnitude until they drop…Too forceful will drop unripe fruit). I am always surprised when, upon looking up, I don’t see many ripe fruit, but when I start shaking they drop like rain.

8 Likes

According to this paper, 80 percent of the new jujube cultivars are result of bud mutation.

Maybe this high rate of bud mutation is the main reason for different shape and other characteristics we observe with different sources of the same cultivar?

This PDF file is about 400 pages - very interesting info and photos.
I found source here:

12 Likes

That is an awesome find.

2 Likes

Wow- yours looks further along than anything I have. I remember you mentioned fertilizing them in past years, so I tried doing that in the spring with some slow release Osmocote.

Most of my trees either have no fruit, or tiny, barely bigger than a jujube flower. The one which seems a bit bigger is Bok Jo. Not only does it have a decent number of fruit, but some are a bit larger. The Sugar Cane it is grafted to also has more than most of the rest, though not as much as Bok Jo.

Bok Jo- I see at least 3 fruit in this pic, 2 small ones above and below the big one:
Bok_Jo_07-30-2019

A lot of my trees have had issues with the foliage, Dried, twisted, small leaves. They also have very small fruiting stems. Rather than being a foot+ long and have large well-spaced leaves, they are only a few inches long, near the main branch, with small leaves packed closely.

Here’s a pick of my oldest So, the one which has had a decent amount of fruit in past years. So far, it has very little, if any.
Jujube_Poor_Growth_07-30-2019

4 Likes

Bob,
Your description of So’s leaves fits mine wxactly!!! Dry, twisted and packed closely together. Tnis was the second year in this location. Last year it was fine and had some fruit. This year, the leaves look unhealthy and odd. It hashad flowers but no fruit.

The packed leaves are very unusual. I thought it was because the soil is poor. Weird that yoir So and mine acted the same way.

1 Like

Could it be related to the excess rain this spring? It wasn’t just So that had that happen to me. A number of others also look that way. Some also have lost some leaves near the tips and some half crisped leaves. Any long-time jujube growers have an idea?

1 Like

Ive had some seedlings that have looked like you’re describing. I dont know why though. Just dull, lackluster foliage that doesnt lie straight…tends to clump together.

Bob and @k8tpayaso,
It seems that my two trees (So and Massandra) with bunched up leaves were not happy. The burned tips probably because young/new leaves were burned by very hot days we have had.

So and Massandra were planted on mounds made mainly of old potting soil. The “soil” dry out too fast. Both trees have suffered from not enough water and nutrient.

About 10 days ago, I added compost to the soil. I’ve watered them deeply more often.

Today, while So is still bunched up, new leaves look much better. Massandra’s leaves still look like nutrient deficient but the leaves are not bunched up now.

So with bunched up leaves.

5 Likes

I don’t know what causes it, but it didn’t affect all my trees equally. I was at a rental today and here is a Honey Jar from there which looked pretty good. I planted it last year and it already has some fruit on it. There are at least two in this pic…

HoneyJar_rental_07-31-2019

The other jujube at that property also look pretty good, which surprised me a bit, since there is a good sized black walnut in the neighbor’s yard (about 60’ to the NW from the pictured tree).

3 Likes

Only my So and Massandra (both new trees planted there last year) have had these problems. That’s why I am pretty sure it’s the soil and a lack of nutrient issue.

The other three more established trees have no issues. Their suckers have no issues, either.

1 Like

I am worried from this citation from Internet:
“develop the extraordinary branches and leaves of extremely reduced size, the typical symptom of witches’ broom.”
Hopefully nobody’s trees are affected!

Maybe @Shengrui will tell what is it.

1 Like

Can you link a source? Your quote had insufficient detail for me have a clear understanding of what it meant.

1 Like

below is what i lifted from that link. Quite impressed that Romania has a huge stake in the species, and even more impressed they are growing them from cuttings.

Too many rooting agents sold here in usa, so it seems like radistim and rhizopon are more juju-specific.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Jujube Research in Romania -propagation by cuttingsChinese date (

Ziziphus jujuba

Mill.) dry cuttings-rooting hormones: NAA, IBA, Radistim, Rhizopon

Distribution of Chinese date (Jujube) to the Romanian territory(Dobrogea Region -South-Eastern part)

Prospective of Chinese Jujube in Romania:

-important areas under the desertification process,-more than 300,000 ha of salty soils,-more than 400,000 ha of sandy soils,-fruit with high nutraceutical value

SUPER FRUIT!-row material for SUPER FOOD!-easy to grow, no irrigation needed,-reduced number of pests and diseases in Romania!?-adaptable for organic farming

Difficulties to extend the Chinese Jujube in Romania:

-no specialized nurseries,-lack of planting material,-Jujube is not a known fruit specie,-not included in the official list

no financial support-fruit unknown

marketing campaign needed !

Prof.dr.

Florin STĂNICĂ

Bdul M

ă

r

ăş

ti, 59 -

011464 Bucureşti

Mobil:+40.755.070412Fax:+40.21.3182888E-mail:

florin.stanica@usamv.roflstanica@yahoo.co.uk

Universityof Agronomic Sciences and VeterinaryMedicineFaculty of Horticulture

–Bucureşti

www.usamv.ro

7 Likes

makes me think, and i hope, it might just be the cultivar’s response to the unusually warm/hot summer the northeast just experienced. Trees cells typically adapt and develop accordingly with the ambient norm, so the relatively warm summer may have caused it. Some of our trees exhibit it too, and varies from cultivar to cultivar. It is more of a wait-and-see kind of thing. Next year’s growth would determine if it was merely a self-limiting malady or adaptation to the weather, or something more serious.

3 Likes