Jujubes- Our New Adventure

The source is from here:
https://www.google.bg/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiQudzL8uTjAhX3wMQBHbAlBlcQFjABegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F264140487_Witches%27_broom_of_jujube_treeZizyphus_jujuba_MILL_var_Inermis_Rehd_IV_Effect_of_low_temperature_in_winter_upon_the_appearance_of_symptom&usg=AOvVaw2SZl6VxupWR7WdmubIOgB8

but I haven’t full access, so I can’t provide more useful info. I seek for pictures of affected jujubes, but found almost nothing.
I just saying that we must be careful with this things.

1 Like

Is this 2 different emails? I think yes. And good thing is that Romania is neighboring country to me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

good for you! You’re more than welcome to clue us in once you’ve gotten some info :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you. Interesting to find out that witch broom and cracking are the two big jujube issues in China.

Just wonder how serious those issues are in the US.

1 Like

Until pileta mentioned that I didn’t know that jujubes have some issues. Wherever I read about them always says that they are plants without pests and diseases. Mine do not have any problems, yet. I hope it will be like that forever :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

witch’s broom is endemic to east asia(china and korea), and it is a true killer of jujus there. But to date, there are scores of ~1500 yr old juju trees there that are still productive, and going strong. The fact that they are still alive, considering the relative proximity to casualties of witch’s broom, well, that should be enough sigh of relief for @mamuang. Would be the devil’s work and easily the most incredible stroke of bad luck should mamuang be the first person to report of witch’s broom here in usa. What with just a few juju trees on her watch. If there should be one likely to be the first to declare of a casualty, it should be the juju hoarder typing this, considering the various nurseries and flea markets(in chinatown)have obtained trees from, plus various folks have exchanged budwood with. Some of them practically anonymous, and who knows-- some may have sourced budwood that weren’t quarantined. I think have grafted >70 cultivars on our trees over the years, but all our trees are still alive… knock on wood…

3 Likes

Raf,
Between @BobVance and me, we’ll see if we would be that (un)lucky growers with witch bloom jujubes.

Bob, how many trees you have that show bunched up leaves? Mine is really just a So.

Sweet Mung beans and dried jujube dessert!!!

Tony

7 Likes

Is that milk or coconut milk?

1 Like

Coconut cream. One of my favorite dessert.

Tony

1 Like

I don’t know how you stay so thin!!!
I can’t eat much dessert these days.

3 Likes

I swim an hour every other day. It is easy on my 53 yrs old joints. No more weight lifting. You should take up swimming. It is really burned up calories.

Tony

4 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile:so i finally have my jujube trees (4 and i will plant 3 more after summer)

3 of them are big ones (2 to 3 meters but not wide at all (probably lang but i will see)) and flowers are full of insect - wasp, ant, fly etc…

This year there wont be many fruit only one one tree which i planted already in may/june and it have already big fruits.

The rest of the trees shown some fruits now after planting and it will be probably already too late … So it will not rippen :frowning:

But i would like to ask one question:

One small jujube (grafted) also have flowers but i seen only few ants on them and nothing else…

Does anyone have experience that young trees are not attractive for insect? (Other possibility can be different cultivar which is simply not interesting for insect)

Second question: does the fruit looks like a lang?

2 Likes

that looks like a lang, and is likely to be that since many other pear-shaped cultivars are relatively rare.

here in vegas, jujus don’t get much insect activity either other than ants and flies, and sometimes wasp. The asian honeybee(not the european/african) is the main bee pollinator, which has not been introduced to usa.

2 Likes

My young trees had ants almost exclusively but each year more flying insects are around to pollinate. As the flowers increase in number so do the insects!

2 Likes

I have never see other insects on my jujubes other than the ants, Japanese beetles, and stink bugs. Bees seem have no interests or don’t recognize the jujube flowers

2 Likes

I have seen mason bees on mine and other small bee/wasp but not ever any honey or bumble bees

2 Likes

Okay…I did it… I’ve eaten my fill of jujubes! For now anyway. I have always had to ration what jujus I eat because there are only so many. Mine are getting ripe and today was the first really good picking. I’ve had 2 Contorted, 6-7 Honey Jar, 1 Lang, 4-5 Chico, 1 SiHong, and 9 Sugar Cane, I’m done today!!

3 Likes

How would you rank them taste wise? Who’s on first :smile:

3 Likes

Honey Jar/SiHong—my SiHong are small this year…not much bigger than HJ. Both just starting to ripen.

Sugar Cane—juicy and very sweet…very sweet. Very small so far.

Lang—-actually pretty sweet and crunchy. I know it’s not supposed to be good but the two that I’ve had surprised me

Contorted—sweeter than I remember. One was from my Contorted on its own roots and it was noticeably sweeter than my grafted Contorted.

Chico—one of my favorites but still a little sour. Will probably sweeten up.

7 Likes