Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Honey Jar

2 Likes

@jujubemulberry,
Iā€™ve waited this long to see if Vegas Candy will wake up. I think it wonā€™t. All other varieties you gave me last year have woken up this year, not the Candy :confounded:

Of the 19 grafts last year that took, this is the only one not awake.

1 Like

@Sophia2017fthank you very much. All three have pushed buds.

I had my daughter googled the Chinese characters and translated them for me.

5 Likes

v candy is nothing more than a novelty @mamuang, being on the tiny side. Of course will still be sending you replacement scions!

did you at least get booty to leaf out? That is the largest-fruited of the vegas group.

3 Likes

I think V. Booty survives. Iā€™ll check again tomorrow. I assume Vegas Candy would be the sweetest. Thatā€™s why I was disappomited that it did not comeback.

So far, I have 3 grafts that died the year after grafts took. All were either short or skinny scionwood. My guess is they did not have enough stored energy.

1 Like

it is just as sweet as hj, etc. so not really special in that regard. It is one of my favorites though when dried as dates despite the small size. I am actually more interested in it as a ā€˜replacement cultivarā€™ for areas where popular cultivars donā€™t bear much fruit. Same with v baby, which is also small but does well in shady conditions and tastes similar to sihong dates when dried.

of course wonā€™t recommend them in areas where bigger fruits can be grown. I actually donā€™t recommend hj much either(pls donā€™t judge me!), due to the small size of fruits alsoā€¦

2 Likes

One thing Iā€™ve just learned about jujubes: they do not take late hard freezes well at all. After an early spring that had jujubes (and many other plants) fully awake, we experienced two late freezes, the last of which went down to 22-24F. Lang is dead to the graft (the second weā€™ve lost, which does not incline me to try another). Contorted and Coco are apparently (and at the least) almost dead to the graft. Sugarcane is at least half deadā€“maybe more, as some of the newly sprouted leaves are wilting. Biggest unpleasant surprise: 10 ft tall Honeyjarā€“in a somewhat protected locationā€”is mostly dead, possibly to the graft. Even the newly planted Asian and hybrid persimmons (with rudimentary protection) did better than these.

In summary, @#$%!

Englandā€™s is in a neighboring county. Their jujube orchards must have taken serious damage.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Jeremiah. From what you said, once they leafs out, jujubes are quite vulnerable.

In my yard, they donā€™t wake up/show green fuzz until early May. The last trees to wake up. They sure can take -10 F during dormancy without any issuein my area.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry you had such bad losses. I can give you Coco and Honey Jar scions if you want to regraft it next year. My Black Sea and Shanxi Li had tips burnt since they just started greening up when the frost came.

1 Like

@jujubemulberry,
The Vegas Booty has grown over a foot long. Vegas Baby and LeFleur are all doing well.

Thank you, Andrew! Maybe theyā€™re not as dead as I think, but if so, I will keep your very kind offer in mind. Grafting is something I need to attempt anyway.

1 Like

Hopefully the desired variety recovers for you. The rootstock should at the very least send up suckers that can be grafted next year. I lost a couple of persimmons to the freeze.

1 Like

ODD question: How do you pronounce Jujube? I was watching some of @ross 's you tube videos (nice channel, Ross!) and one of us has been mispronouncing the word! haha. Iā€™m 99.99% it is me since Iā€™d never heard it spoken and hadnā€™t a clue other than the spelling.

Iā€™ve been saying ā€œJew Jubesā€ rymes with Jew Tubes. (hope my phonetic spelling doesnā€™t offend any of my Jewish friends hereā€¦I donā€™t mean to)

Not exactly an important issue, but how should it be pronounced?!?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes me feel a bit better with my HJ graft failed. Since I was out of scion, I re-grafted with Sugar Cane scion which I still had one bud leftover. It looks like itā€™s taking. But I do plan to re-graft HJ next year, given that it seems to do well everywhere.

Honey Jar is awesomeā€¦ you just need a lot of them!! And the tree usually complies. :+1:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always been told ā€œju-ju-BEESā€
:wink:

2 Likes

In one of the jujube videos of a tour of jujube orchard in China, the reporter pronounced it Ju-Joob. .

3 Likes

Yeah, I hope Iā€™ll have big enough harvest one day to eat like popcornā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s how I like them!!!

3 Likes

I planted this Honey Jar in Feb 2020 and now see some growth and flower buds.
Can someone tell me how long will it take from flower to fruit form to ripe ?

3 Likes