Juneberries!

Clark, those look fantastic! Did you plant named varieties of Juneberries, or are those native?

1 Like

They are native types I got from Gene Redlin at Byron Nursery. Gene is normally a large plant wholesaler but since I have a farm he went ahead and did the order for me just like any other much larger business.

That’s cool! I planted twenty or so native Juneberries last spring, mainly for wildlife and also as part of a windbreak. I still hope they produce good berries like yours. I suppose i can graft some of them over to better varieties if needed.

1 Like

I’ve got plenty of scion wood if you need it.

That’s very generous of you, thanks!! Is dormant season best for grafting Juneberries?
I got a few little berries on a couple plants so far, smaller than pea size and kinda tasty but not great. I was hoping they would get better as they mature.

1 Like

Yes dormant is best. Jueberties are good but not as good as something like good blueberries in my opinion.

2 Likes

someone shared a link to me from kanasa forestry service where they sell serviceberry and many other berries and nut trees for $20 for 25 plus shipping. not named cultivars but if you wanted a orchard for cheap they would be a great option!

1 Like

This is where I got my Juneberries from. They have quite a variety of bareroot trees and shrubs available to homeowners to plant for wildlife, erosion control, or livestock windbreaks. They are usually very small and require a lot of attention if you want them to be successful! Ours are part of a windbreak. I also hoped to provide a variety of tasty berries for birds/wildlife so the pressure on my fruit trees wouldn’t be too bad. @clarkinks has had good success using his mulberries this way. If you check with your local Forest Service, or forestry dept at your state university, or your state conservation service, you might find they offer the same thing in your area. Missouri Dept of Conservation, MN DNR, etc. also offer seedling trees.

1 Like

@moose71 & @KSprairie
The top 3 in this document are Maine natives https://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/pesticides/yardscaping/plants/swcdplants/native_shrubs.pdf. We can grow one juneberry I know of here but Maine is colder and several grow well. Many states offer seedling trees like Kansas. My beach plums came from here http://www.nhnursery.com/seedlings/ you just need to order them and follow these directions http://www.nhnursery.com/uploads/2018%20catalog%20and%20%20cover%20PDF.pdf.

1 Like

Juneberries are easy to grow from seed and are fairly true to their parents genetics. I started a bunch indoors this winter under lights and they were about 2 foot by the time I moved them outside this spring.

10 Likes

Wow, those look great!

1 Like

you grow some great plants! you related to my father? learned a lot from him but never got as good results as him.

Haha, maybe! I did get a little carried away with the fertilizer and burnt the leaves a bit, but its amazing how much those little seeds grew in a couple months.

3 Likes

ahh… pushing the envelope! I’ve been guilty of that . nearly killed my raspberries last year by over doing it. at least i didnt have to prune the canes that year. :wink:

Bumper Juneberry crop! Started picking today! Already over a gallon picked!

13 Likes

Do you have any advice for stratification, etc…? I’m trying to grow some from seed that I collected about three weeks ago. Thanks

1 Like

What I do is clean the seeds as well as I can and store in the fridge in a sealed container about 1/3 full of water. Occasionally I take them out and rinse if the water gets discolored or gunky looking, if necessary you can dump the seeds onto a paper towel and rub them off a bit also to get stuff off them. Once a few start to grow in the water, usually mid december depending on the temp of your fridge, I plant them.

3 Likes

can anyone diagnose this?

whole clusters turning black several places on this Bush

I have a sixty foot row with all the main varieties. Mulberries attract the birds then when they are gone, it is time to hit the juneberries. I have as yet never seen a juneberry berry survive to turn blue. i have never seen the mulberries prevent attacks on any other fruit.

1 Like

It works for me , the birds here love mulberry. You can already tell that by the photos. I would encourage you to determine why the birds are after your fruit because they are likely thirsty or hungry. The hard part is once the problem is determined coming up with a solution takes awhile sometimes. Ive added ponds , bird baths. Mulberries etc and the birds and i both have what we want. Im not saying they never steal a cherry or juneberry but ive not seen them doing it in years. Most of the time during dry weather many birds move to the pond. My crops keep getting larger!