Just for you, paw-paw lovers

I think it is as closely related as a tree grown from a mother tree that has been self pollinated is to its mother. If a plant is both the mother and father of its seed the tree it becomes is much more likely to have the same or similar characteristics, including the quality of fruit. All species and varieties known for the tendency of producing plants that bear very similar fruit to their mother tree that I can think of are self fertile. Right up to the very variable and genetically complex apple.

Even in a genetically diverse collection of trees, if a tree is self-fertile, it seems very likely that a substantial number of seeds will have been formed from the pollen and ovary of the same tree. Bees seldom stick to a single flower in any tree they forage.

Glad to see someone question the ā€˜scienceā€™ā€¦if you canā€™t question it, then itā€™s propaganda.

Most authorities say most pawpaws are self-infertile. In those majority of cases your proposition doesnā€™t fitā€¦but in the relatively rare incidence of a self-pollinating tree, youā€™d be correct to expect the offspring to more closely resemble the parent.

But, even when asimina triloba have Two parent(s)ā€¦they still resemble the mother more than might be the case of apples, pears, etc.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only seen one isolated tree, all others Iā€™ve managed had at least two varieties in the vicinity, following recs. Seems quite a coincidence that the once case is the rare case, but I believe others on this site have witnessed self-fertility as well.

Science is only as good as the latest research and Iā€™m not sure what research has been done to determine its genetic ability to pollinate itself and I donā€™t know very much about the science to begin with. I do believe that some things can be seen under the microscope that could clearly reveal such capability. Thereā€™s is always a chance that there is some nearby tree Iā€™m unaware of, but Iā€™ve never seen a paw paw not intentionally planted in the region where I grow fruit.

In a recent presentation KSU talked about graduate student research into selfing. The general conclusion of the study was that all pawpaw varieties likely are self fertile to at least a small degree, some more than others perhaps.
Of course itā€™s one study.

3 Likes

The tree Iā€™m talking about is a grafted variety and was included in a design made by Lee Reich- I donā€™t know which one, but it was probably his favorite at the time- over 20 years ago. I wonder why he didnā€™t call for two paw-paws- he was a paid consultant on the project before I got there. Maybe he knows something about paw-paws not in the literature, but he usually sticks to such info religiously.

1 Like

Do you know if there is any sort of site available with that presentation posted? Or link to the study? Iā€™d be interested in reading it. That makes a lot of sense, if that is the case, and would help put to rest a lot of the confusion surrounding pawpaw fertility.

1 Like

Hey!
I believe it was from last yearā€™s ā€œthird Thursday thingā€ which is on YouTube

Edit
Yep thatā€™s it. About 40 mins in.

4 Likes

Thank you!!! Wow, seems like a lot good info in that video. Might take a while to get through it all lol.

1 Like

It is my understanding that KSU atwood was selected from Petersonā€™s orchard in MD and that KSU benson was a seedling of susquehanna. KSU chappelle was selected from a hedgerow tree at KSU so it is possible it could also be a seedling of one of Petersonā€™s.

2 Likes

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361094525_Coupled_analysis_of_Pawpaw_Asimina_triloba_genetic_markers_and_ancestry_records

6 Likes

If the annonacin are so dangerous then why isnā€™t avocado and all the other anonnas being targeted? Annonacin are supposedly not water soluble so hard for human absorption, also stomach acid also supposedly destroys most of them. Pretty much every vegetable, nut and seed contains toxic chemicals! Eat nothing but broccoli for 3 days and you will feel like death!! Caffeine and cocoa/theobromine is a neurotoxin .A few raw beans can kill you! Seems like the annonacin factor is being hyped up for some strange reason!

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. The vast majority of things that we like to eat about plants that arenā€™t macros or fiber is an attempt by a plant to make its bits inedible.

2 Likes

@FloridaFrugivoreFami , @TheGrog
Avocado is not in Annonaceae family.
Annonacins are a serious neurotoxin. It is injected into cancer cells to kill them on contact. The lifetime medical dosage is 90mg. Understanding the concentration of it in Pawpaws is important for the viability of the fruit.

5 Likes

Avocado is in the lauraceae family which also contains similar if not identical chemical as the annonacea family. Thatā€™s just what Iā€™ve heard. Iā€™ve never tested a pawpaw or a Avocado for it. Iā€™ve also read that the miniscule amount thats in the pawpaw flesh would require 100lbs of consumption a day for 20 years to have any effect! I could be wrong on that too! All I know is Iā€™ve been eating sorsop,atemoya,cherimoya,sugar apple,rollinia and custard apple by the box full weekly while in season for many years! I canā€™t wait to add pawpaw to the list. I have absolutely no fear whatsoever of the fruit. Iā€™m much more scared of legumes andnightshades!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link talking about annonacin in persea Americana!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305442366_Neurotoxicity_of_Fruits_Seeds_and_Leaves_of_Plants_in_the_Annonaceae_Family

@FloridaFrugivoreFami
Apparently you didnā€™t read it.

reports describe a set of compounds that are
also called acetogenins, which are found in members of the Lauraceae family, including the popular avocado (Persea Americana) [39-41]. The so-called acetogenins from other families have very different structures and biological properties than those from the Annonaceae
family [30]. Only the acetogenins from the Annonaceae family have been linked to atypical Parkinsonism [30].

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction!

2 Likes

The guy who died in the U.S. was eating an estimated 30 pounds per year.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

1 Like

Iā€™ll be lucky to make it to 80 even if I never consume a pawpaw ! I have also read that aluminum crosses blood brain barrier and causes similar effects. Considering most people smear aluminum under their armpits daily and Considering operation solar shield sprays thousands of tons of aluminum over our heads daily its kind of hard to pin down one culprit for any health issue.

1 Like