"Keepers" figs

also Sultane (most grown in egypt, and common in A.W.).
Zidi is in the second rank for me, and it matures two weeks after Sultane.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it with “???”, but that would be an improvement! I don’t cruise the fig section like I used to

From IRA Condit’s 1955 monograph:

1 Like

It’s interesting how Sultani can do better for you, I wonder how much heat you get during the summer over there as that’s a requirement for a tasty Zidi. In literature, Zidi & BB always score very high, as opposed to the hybrid you mentioned which Condit describes both crops as poor in Riverside.

TSS isn’t everything but this Egyptian article describes it as:

Mature fruits of the widely distributed cultivar Bursa Siyahi contained 20.32% total sugars (Turk ,1989). TSS percentage of Sultani fig fruits ranged from 13.3 to 14.6% (Sourial et al., 1994-c).

Check out Zidi’s score in these references:
http://figs4fun.com/Links/FigLink768.pdf

I’ll keep an eye out for that one. From the tiny sample I had last year, Smith impressed me the most. Granted these were all 1 or 2 year cuttings producing one to three figs and not the best conditions or care, but Smith was an obvious star.

2 Likes

@ammoun
I use Brix to evaluate ripeness but never to judge flavor.

1 Like

@ammoun, I am not in Egypt or Tunisia, I live in hot place similar to south TN; ‘Sultani’ is similar to ‘Zidi’ but I lean towards the first; the variety is common in Tunisia and Algeria, also ‘baghli’ in sfax TN is more likely synonym for the same variety.

1 Like

Which fig did you mean by “TN” ?

I meant Tunisia country. not fig.

1 Like

@dour
So …
south TN = south Tunesia.

I don’t understand this sentence.

Oh sorry,

is the entire sentence.
Baghli variety, which is in sfax Tunisia, is very likely a synonym for the variety Sultani.

2 Likes

What some may consider “keepers” will vary significantly according to where they’re being grown. My keepers list of Northeast US grown figs will be very different from someone’s list growing in sunny California, or my family’s list in Italy.

I remember that nobody, except my grandmother would even bother picking a Nerucciolo d’Elba at our farms in Italy. Not even the birds would eat them. In the Northeast US, it’s considered top tier. Wild.

2 Likes

@Marco
At the moment I’m not interested in the flavor of fig specimens grown in sub-par environments, and especially not those that overwinter indoors.