Kentucky Pomegranates

Hey y’all! I’m a pomegranate lover and have several varieties that I’ve been trialing the past 3 years in Eastern Kentucky, zone 6b. Just curious on what kind of success everyone else has had with pomegranates outdoors both in and out of protected areas in zone 6b and what varieties you are trying. I currently have the following I am trialing on the southern side of my house:

Afghanski
Salavatski
Kazake
Lyubymi
Kajacikanor
Sirenevyi
Ac More
8 ball
Cheranaya roza
Nikitski ranni
Parfianka
Suhr anor
Azadi
White fruited

11 Likes

That is a lot of good varieties…

1 Like

I am in zone 8a, and Suhr Anor (or what was labeled as such) has died to the ground every year for me so far. Last winter we had that freak storm (was only the second winter). It is back up to about 5’ tall now, but still no fruits. I have it in an unprotected location.

3 Likes

I got probably 20 varieties from NCGR 15 years or so ago; recognize at least 7 or 8 from your list. Planted outdoors, in ground, in my orchard, over here in Christian Co., zone 6b. All are long since dead except Kazake &/or Salavatski…and I long ago lost IDs…and desire to care about them. They kill back to the ground every winter, never flower. Good luck.

4 Likes

I get just a couple in the list. Still just babies. Like to add more varieties and try them. Going to plant them in containers first.

1 Like

I’ve had about a dozen varieties, some on your list,
that all died. I still have two left, Vina and Parfianka.
Both of them have finally fruited this year, and waiting
to harvest them. Can’t decide, when to pick them.

2 Likes

A grower in europe told me that his orchard got tested with -21c or -6F and the “russian hardy” ones we have here like Salavatski all killed to the ground for him but the ones that did best in this event for him are rare ones form Bulgaria and Uzbekistan he told me this list and said he has sent to multiple people here in the US and so we should start hearing about them in 5 years if they prove zone 6b dependable:
Bulgaria 3
Bulgaria super hardy
Uzbek
Belbek
Deve Disi
He has been posting his results on a european fb pomegranite growing page.
We all want them right? :smiley:
So i imagine our hardy russian types like Edible Landscaping sells are more for 7a (probably against a house) and these types he has that took his cold with best results are more what we need for 6b…

6 Likes

I gave a small, rooted cutting of whatever surviving Russian pom I have to my son, to plant in his backyard in Silver Spring MD, about 3 years ago. It’s in a fairly sheltered location, sort of between his house and the one next door. No winter dieback so far, but no fruit yet, either. It’s getting some size on it… I’d be surprised if it doesn’t at least bloom a little next year.

3 Likes

The best pomegranate post on this site is , I believe…

While not Ky. Or 6b there has been some good discussion there.
Maybe @PomGranny ( and others ) can give us a update on the Pom .project . (Now that she has water !)
Anyone have fruit ( poms) in z6 this year ? I had a few blooms , no fruit. 6b WV.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing Paul! I had never considered pomegranates as a viable option before your post. Now, figs aren’t the only thing i have to consider for zone pushing that might actually be a viable option for z6… :roll_eyes::grin:

2 Likes

Sounds good. Yeah it is very exciting!! I for sure would order some cuttings from him myself if I wasnt afraid of the regulation risks!!!
His posts on that facebook Euro pomegranite page are very interesting.
It sounds like some of these from Bulgaria abd such can take a lot more cold than our hardy Russians.
Hopefully others with a mind to multiply and test and spread/trade/sell these more hardy types in the US will get ahold of them and get them going and sources will multiply for us all. He told me he has sent dozens into the US and Canada last winter no problem and is booked for more shipments this winter.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll definitely check it out! :grinning:

1 Like

Thoughts on Zone 6 pomegranate ‘s
Well in zone 6 this may be just wishful thinking.
But I am giving it a shot , if nothing else it keeps me out of other mischief . Have some in a unheated high tunnel, and some in ground outside.
Some years they have froze to the ground from winter cold , most have regrown , some have died.
Have had a few blooms , no fruit set , “ yet “
From my observations , reading and post on here.there are several issues.
First they must survive the winter above ground. And live long enough to bloom and set fruit.
It’s my understanding ,and observation , that they bloom on current years shoots, on ~ 3 yr. old + wood.
So the challenge seems to be to get some wood to survive at least 3 yrs. the stems seem somewhat flexible , so I am thinking to lay some down like I do my “ step over figs” and cover with cardboard/ frost blankets ( remay ) to catch the heat from the soil .
This works well with figs . So I think it may work with poms.
@Bass Was who got me interested in poms. As at the time I met him ,he was getting fruit in zone 6 , and north of me.
Have not heard much from him lately about his poms . Hope he gives us a update.
The other issues many have mentioned is late spring freeze doing more damage than winter cold.
So if layed down and covered , maybe don’t uncover until freezes are over. ?
Of the ones I have that survived so far inground 3-4 yrs are
Rosavaya,
Salavatski
Sur anor.
Have lost many others.
Anyone have ideas / comments about this. ?
Other methods .?
Any zone 6 fruit ?

Taking cutting before winter sets in has saved some varieties.

3 Likes

I would be very interested to see how the poms would react to a similar set up as your step over figs! Definitely agree with taking cuttings to ensure their survival before winter creeps in! I almost lost a Kazake last year had I not taken a few.

3 Likes

When you mention ‘Rosavaya’, do you mean ‘Gulosha Rosavaya’?

Not sure ,it was just labeled Rosavaya.
And I don’t remember where I acquired it ?

1 Like

I missed these posts about poms from @PomGranny because they were hidden in another post . I just can’t read them all , but I am trying.

Looks good !
Yumm.

3 Likes

Did you have any success? I live in Russellville, KY ~ Paul M. Paquette

Did you have any success? I live in Russellville, KY ~ Paul M. Paquette

1 Like

Do you have any updates @Hillbillyhort ?