KGB pruning system on other stone fruit?

Does anyone have any thoughts about using the KGB, Kym Green Bush, pruning system on stone fruit trees other than cherries? I have a couple cherry trees that I of prune using the KGB system that are going into third leaf the spring and I’ve been very pleased with the system and growth that I’ve gotten out of these cherries. Hopefully they will have fruit this year. I am curious as to the pros and cons of trying this system out on peaches, plums, or apricots and what the results of might indicate regarding the ease of pruning, compactness of tree, potential for less fruit thinning, and fruit quality.

For reference, I am in zone 7 in northern Virginia.

Thanks!

I thought it was called the FSB now?

Have you read this?

Thank you for sharing that. That post covers a good bit of the basics of the KGB pruning system. I have implemented a number of those methods on the cherry trees I am growing. However I can’t help but wonder if the same system could work on peach trees. I’m sure it wouldn’t be worth while on a commercial scale or the big commercial guys would have already been doing it on peaches, but it seems interesting if it could be done on a gardener level.

It should work with other stonefruit that readily fruit on upright shoots. I am not sure about peaches though. Upright shoots in peaches have the tendency to push the side buds the same growing season they are developed. These side shoots often don’t set flower buds the same season. The uprights itself develop flower buds only in the very last part of seasonal growth. Maybe for peaches the spanisch bush system might be better suited.

But I believe KGB should work with apricots or plums. Apricots fruit readily at strong growing shoots. They don’t have the tendency to push side buds the same season.

Since I had similar ideas like you I planted 3 apricot seedlings which I prune using KGB. They come into their 4th season now. I might get first flowers this year but probably they start to fruit next year. It are seedlings after all.

I learned some more about the KGB pruning system since I started those apricots. I did some mistakes but nothing I cannot repair.

Thanks for the insight and sorry for the late reply. That is very good info. It sounds like you are doing exactly what I am trying to do. I have two apricot trees and I will probably grow one on a traditional open pruning style while pruning the other apricot to the KGB system and I look forward to comparing the two pruning styles.