Kinnaird's Choice Apple Description in 1911

I have been further researching apples I have ordered for planting in the spring. The USDA Yearbook of Agriculture features promising new fruit varieties in each issue. Some favorites of today were new to commercial production in the early 1900’s. The following excerpt is from the 1911 yearbook. It will be of interest to those who might want to plant one outside of its Tennessee origins.

“The Kinnaird apple is of the Winesap group and is adapted to the same general conditions as the Winesap, but it apparently succeeds considerably further south than that popular sort. During recent years it has shown special adaptability to the Piedmont and Blue Ridge regions of Maryland, Virginia and the South Atlantic States. In the mountainous portions of northern Georgia it develops to a very high degree of perfection. While it has been highly esteemed for many years in central Tennessee in the region of its origin, it is also succeeding well as far south as northern Louisiana and northern Texas. It appears worthy of testing in the apple districts of the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Coast regions. In northwestern Arkansas it has been found susceptible to apple scab-apparently more so than most varieties grown there-but this failing does not appear to have been reported from other sections.”

4 Likes

I’ve looked at Kinnard’s Choice.Like Pierce Pasture I really like it. But I fear it will not like coming out of the mountains for the last of southerly remnants of the Georgia Piedmonts.

How many chill hours are you there in your Georgia location?

I’m tracking about 825 on average. Sometimes 1150 some years.