Labelling your Fruit tree hacks

I’ve looked around at cheap hacks to make cheap “forever labels”. But what I have seen does not sound good for 120 or so trees. I’ve seen many deals on plastic tags. But that means people will have to decipher the Sanskrit I call writing. I do not want to curse them so.

How do you label your trees?

2 Likes

Scrap sheet metal and letter punches from harbor freight.

3 Likes

Various, depends on what I tried or how permanent they were meant to be.
Cattle tags (ones meant for extended use) with tbe tag pen that melts into the plastic. With the animal tags, got the largest ones, a very visible color, and had to write slowly- I have horrible handwriting. Those can be screwed into the tree, half a turn out every year or so, so they don’t get stuck.I used those to mark types of blackberry, on the posts.
Aluminum cans opened up and punched with letter punches. They will likely be toi small and be changed out eventually. I saw someone had aluminum strapping that seemed better.
Something like outdoor tyvek/uv resistant with p-touch labels printed and stuck on. I tried the cheap vinyl from amazon and it was really cheap- no uv protection no jatter what the listing said. This is for new grafts in the nursery bed, before another label gets made.

3 Likes

Dymo with stainless steel tape seems to be the ‘gold standard’.

Etch some aluminum roofing material is a close second to me.

Primary defense against lost tags is an orchard map, plus planting a second tag on a designated direction for each tree. I’ll probably do North for mine.

Also if you keep up with it, you can use a paint pen on multi grafted varieties at the graft union.

3 Likes

I rcently acquired a propery where the previous owner used larger flat engraved stones. It is charming

2 Likes

I bought some white plastic ones. They deteriorate and break in the sun. Some are better but I don’t know which ones. I use cut up aluminum cans or roofing material.

2 Likes