Lantai Jululi aka Fragrant pear

Scott, Tom, Clark, and all.

ARS just updated some infos on Lantai Jululi. From the description below, it is the same as Fragrant pear from the Asian Market. I got about 10 cluster of flowers on my two trees after 4 years of bark grafting them. They sure are very woody trees. I will update later this fall with photos and taste.

Tony

Collected as P. sinkiangensis. Top quality pear, yellow- green skin, sweet, crisp, juicy, aromatic. – notes from Mel Westwood (ca.1990)

PI 654949

Pyrus sinkiangensis T. T. Yu
‘Lantai-juju Li’

Donated from:

Xinjiang China

Maintained by:

Natl. Germplasm Repository - Corvallis

NPGS received:

05-Feb-1990

PI assigned:

Inventory volume:

Backup location:

Life form:

Pedigree:

Improvement status:

Landrace

Reproductive uniformity:

Form received:

Cutting

Accession names and identifiers

Lantai-juju Li

Type:

Cultivar name

Luntai Jujuli

Type:

Cultivar name

Comment:

name as received

ASIAN CULTIVAR

Type:

Site identifier

Group:

CROPTYPE

CPYR 2765

Type:

Site identifier

Group:

LOCAL

Comment:

Corvallis local number

Q 27967

Type:

Quarantine identifier

T 27967

Type:

Inventory

Web Availability Note
pathogen issue, temporarily unavailable

Narrative
Collected as P. sinkiangensis. Top quality pear, yellow- green skin, sweet, crisp, juicy, aromatic. – notes from Mel Westwood (ca.1990)

Annotations

Action

Date

By

Old Name

New Name

RE-IDENT

20 Jun 2008

Pyrus spp.

Pyrus x sinkiangensis

Source History
• Accession was donated. 05-Feb-1990. China
Donors:
1.Liao, Ming Kang, Academy of Agricultural Sciences

3 Likes

I will be very interested in how they come out. I had to move the variety a few years ago since my pear stand was too crowded. It still has not fruited in the new spot, and I have been growing the variety for almost 10 years now. I got some fruit on one of my grocery market fruit seedlings, it was tasty but gritty. I have one more seedling that will fruit for the first time this year.

Some of my Asian pears I grafted last year have fruit this spring, but my lanti didn’t bloom. It sounds like I may have to wait a couple of years. I would love to hear your opinion of the fruit if you get some this year tony.

Jason,

I will take some photos. If it is a true Fragrant pear then you also have a very good Asian pear in your possession. Sweet, Super crunchy and very aromatic.

Tony

I’ve tasted the Fragrant pear bought from the market. It’s juicy, crunchy and aromatic as Tony said. I do hope that what you got is true to its namesake, Tony.

Last Week, I grafted the 3 scions you sent and they still look plum and green as of this morning’s garden walk. Hopefully they take!

Please do post the taste test if you got them to fruit this year. I’m so looking forward to reading about it…

Tom

1 Like

One thing that I found interesting this spring with our many frosts was that the lanti was the last variety to leaf out.

1 Like

Yes. it is very late to leaf out tree. Most of my Asian pear almost pass bloomed. Half of the top is barely leafed out.

Tony

1 Like

What do you think pollinated it?

I still got some Yali Asian pears still flowering.

Tony

Tony,
Can’t wait for your report. This could be as sensational as Nadia or more :smile:

Sure will Mamuang. Scott and I have been waiting for this guy to fruit in a decade. I hope it is a keeper.

Tony

Tony,

Can any late blooming pear (Asian AND European) pollinate the Fragrant pear? Or any specific?

Tom

Tom,

I got at least 15 varieties of Asian pears and 8 or so of Euro pears and some Cleveland flowering pears in the neighborhood that will overlap blooming to pollinate the Lantai Jululi. I think if you have a pear tree planting on the north side of the house due to the cooler temperature and that will give you an extra week or so of delaying blooming to help pollinating with late blooming pear trees.

Tony

I don’t think I will put another pear in the north side of the house since that section is already landscaped. I forgot to take into account of the neighborhood’s Bradford, Cleveland, etc. It may not be a block buster pollination but maybe it’s going to be okay. Time will tell…

But most importantly at this moment is the scions take! :neutral_face:

Tom

Tom,

Don’t worry, I got 2 Lantai Jululis at 16 feet tall and 8 feet wide. You will have enough scion woods to graft 500 trees. LOL.

Tony

This year bradfords and clevelands bloomed 2-3weeks ahead of any edible pears I have. I don’t think I’ll have overlap here in my neck of the woods

Tony,
I’m very late to read this how did they turn out?

Tony,

I forgot to update you that I grafted your 2 FP scions onto one branch of my Shinsikei and both scions took off to more than 3 feet each last year. This year, I pruned off one of them close to the stump and grafted onto other seedling projects. I also shorten the other lanky branch as a general tree shaping. I don’t think I would see any cluster this year but to grow them bigger for next year’s possible fruiting…

After all, it was a successful graft!

Tom

Lantai jululi has been very late to leaf out again. In the center of the other grafts on this tree you can see how late it is! That could be very beneficial to someone avoiding spring frosts in a climate not suitable to growing pears! That little dab of green is the graft union. Its in the very top of an improved kieffer. Note that all other pears are showing some green or blooming!

2 Likes

Yep. It is very late to wake up

1 Like