Lanti jujuli

When I was out collecting scion I noticed how different my lanti grows compared to the other Asian pears and European pears on my tree. The horizontal branches grow out and start to weep and curl in a hoop. Has anyone else noticed this ?

1 Like

@Derby42
Ive noticed it wakes up in the spring after all other pears. Ive found the limb curling to be from mild incompatability with callery which sometimes induces faster fruiting. Did you have fruit this year?

1 Like

I did but it was lost to possums before it could ripen. I believe what I have had been proven to be mislabeled and is not lanti, I believe the original scion was wrong. Somewhere there is a thread where tony and Scott discuss it.

1 Like

I believe the scion is a European pear and not sure if it has been identified. It was kind of buried in the thread , maybe @scottfsmith can chime in on it’s true identity

1 Like

It is some sort of Euro pear, similar to Bartlett. I took it out, more because it was in a bad spot … perfectly fine European pear though…

2 Likes

@scottfsmith

It did not set blossoms yet it’s slow to produce. Was curious to see if its the same as the type you had.

It was fast for me compared to Grand Champion which was the Grand Champion of slowness… I finally have a few blooms this year in its 19th year. It did have many setbacks along the way so this is not just an indication of the variety but it is one of the slowest setting for sure. My Josephine des Malines set for the first time last year, “only” 18 years for it! This year it is fully covered in blooms. This is the first year that all of my pears are in bloom.

1 Like

@scottfsmith

We know the meaning of “pears for your heirs” ! Congratulations on your success!