Large Fruited, Sweet, Seedless Medlar

As far as I know they do not exist. As I look at the genetic Resources for Medlars I wonder why not. Does anyone have opinions why there are not yet “Large Fruited, Sweet, Seedless Medlar.”?

As you can read on this website they offer seedless, sweet fleshed, and of course large fruited varieties. Is there something I am missing or may it be as simple and crossing these in large numbers to get the aforementioned goal?

I am considering having some attempts at it. I just need to get the seedless variety and start controlled pollination etc. I would sure appreciate someone talking me out of it if there is a solid reasoning behind it.

3 Likes

no, i say do it! Im a medlar fan myself. i have around 5 or 6 varieties all grafted to volunteer hawthorns. I love making membrillo style medlar paste. its aces!

1 Like

I’m reasonably sure that the reason is that medlars fell out of favor before modern crop improvement got started

2 Likes

It’s not going to make you rich, but there are plenty of us that would appreciate it. All medlar fans dream of a super sized seedless medlar that doesn’t get fireblight.

1 Like

The simplest way to do it might be to apply colchicine to a sweet medlar until you get a tetraploid version, and then cross that with a large medlar to get a large sweet triploid(seedless) medlar

3 Likes

Medlars fell out of favor when apples were planted in London circa 1200 A.D.

1 Like