LarryGene, can you ID these insects

These seem the most numerous on my early blooming stonefruit. Look like some kind of fly.

It seems to br one of the wasp family of pollinators
[

Great Black Wasp (Family Sphecidae) - Field Station

https://uwm.edu › field-station › great-black-wasp
](Great Black Wasp (Family Sphecidae) - Field Station)

Nov 29, 2010 — The Great Black Wasp (GBW) is decorated at one end by heavy-duty mandibles that … but she feeds on nectar and is an important pollinator.

2 Likes

My guess would be this hoverfly ( edit … or something similar ?)

1 Like

Possibly Melanostoma mellinum, another type of Hoverfly

1 Like

Yah, maybe I should not have stated a specific species above.
Because I really don’t know ? But I suspect a hover fly of some sort . Just guessing here …
@LarryGene will likely know .

Of the above proposed IDs, the hoverfly would be the most likely.
S. scripta seems to be too colorful around the thorax, does not match the above images.

Note that heads, bodies, antennae, and eyes of wasps are very ant-like. The above images have the typical eyes and antennae of flies.

It sounds like murky saw enough of these to tell if they ‘hovered’, rather than flight typical of other fly types.

On bugguide.com, Melanostoma mellinum has 11 recorded March entries for Oregon.

Bottom line: not a pest.

3 Likes

Thanks. I didn’t pay as close attention to them flying because its harder for me to distinguish which are which, compared to catching them on a flower. Interesting, more of the other types I saw may be various flies as well. Seems like they emerge first, maybe can tolerate lower temperatures.

Sounds like they are considered benficials. Cool, because there seem to be a lot of them.

I do see some ant-like insects too that I’ve assumed are wasps. I also saw one that made me think hornet, will have to keep an eye out. Since upgrading my router, I don’t have as convenient a means of uploading and viewing the pictures from my phone. I’ll need to work on that.

Some closer, on different flowers:

2 Likes

Your close-up images match up well with:

Thanks to member DJN for the lead.

3 Likes

Mine have a long narrow abdomen. I don’t know if such things vary within a species.

First thing i tried when i saw your post was aim my Seek app at the pc screen.

It thinks it’s in the family Syrphinae.
If you look that up on Wikipedia you get

And from that page

seems the most alike.

Just like others already mentioned.
So this post might not seem like a worthwhile addition. Except for that i want to make you aware of apps like

Seek does not automatically share your data. (geared towards being privacy safe for kids). You can however if you want, make an account and agree to share your identifications to help out protect biodiversity.

So it’s free, it works (excellently as far as i tried out)
And does not use or sell your data. That’s is a rarity these days!

The fact that it’s a joint venture from California Academy of Sciences and National Geographic Society to me alone says enough.

This major update to Seek was made possible with support from WWF and the Our Planet series on Netflix. Seek is created by iNaturalist, which is a joint initiative of the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society.

source:

1 Like

Use of software apps for insect ID can often get the order or family right, but will sometimes be wildly off. Probably depends on the quality of the image submitted. These app IDs should always be checked against regional and seasonal data.

M. mellinum does have significant gender abdominal differences, the female abdomen is wider and more colorful; the male abdomen is narrower and with muted colors.

2 Likes

Here’s more:

your totally right.

The software can’t beat a skilled human. (yet, or maybe ever)

If actually had a class once in ID ing of insects. They do that here to asses biodiversity. It’s quite a skill, you need training and or experience.

I’m willing to bet that for 95% of people the app beats the person.
But should be seen more as a starting point. Or a guess to verify, than an end-point.

Top image: True bug (Hemiptera), has some aspects of the hopping insects.
Middle image: tough angle
Bottom image: Likely a wasp; if small enough, perhaps braconid.

@murky , there are a few threads on pest id but cannot find an id on these eggs, any help would b appreciated. 20220604_182722

Thanks

I think they may be boxelder beetle?

These are on a window screen right next to my garden. Please let me know if I should be removing them. Thanks!

1 Like

Those could be Podisus,spined soldier bug or predatory stink bug eggs.

1 Like

The podpiper image does look like a boxelder bug egg cluster, the color, size, and random placement is a match. The boxelder bug is not a beetle. It does use plants other than boxelder.

2 Likes

I think my 2nd and 3rd picture are the same wasp.