Late Thinning

How late is too late for something mid season like Flavor King? I removed hundreds of fruitlets in March/April but the tree was still overloaded. Removed more today. Mother in law plans to pickle them.

Dollar coin(quarter sized) for reference

I would think that’s too late to make a difference in final fruit size but it may help with air circulation and disease avoidance. Of course that’s probably not a huge issue in your location.

1 Like

I’d still thin more if it seems appropriate. Properly thinned FK can reach 200 grams. That’s huge and lots of weight on a tree. You are thinning now more for quality than size. Those fruits pictured are probably less than 20 grams.

1 Like

This isn’t thinned enough, is it?

2 Likes

BD, that looks good. I thinned one fruit every 5-6 inches. Nice and clean looking FK fruits.

Tony

1 Like

Thanks Tony!

The rule I learned about stone fruits is to keep them from touching each other, since there breeds rot.

Not enough for me. But then maybe that’s why mine are so big. I do think you could get by with that but the tree may need some support. Look at that lower left branch and imagine 4 lbs hanging on that little limb.

I’d take half those off. To me 20 great fruit is way better than 40 good fruit. Not sure that load will hurt fruit quality but FK is the best, why compromise? Then again maybe you have more mouths to feed than I do.

Notice the strings tying my tree to the rafters. Without that mine would have been sprawled all over everything if not broken.

2 Likes

Steve,

Mouth watering. Lol.

Tony

Lol, I don’t know much about Flavor King, but I can say from thinning peaches and plums, that is a SUPER heavy crop load.

If I saw a tree like that I’d attack it like someone who assulted my mother. Rip, peel, twist off most of that fruit. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Ok, how about now? BTW, some fruits that look close to each other are actually on different planes.

1 Like

Quote of the week right there! lol

1 Like

Bleeding,

That’s better. Perhaps a little thick in places, but overall looking good.

2 Likes

Olpea might not approve but I think that looks great!!

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’m gonna call it a day and wait for August! I will net the tree, the robins are getting aggressive!

Yes, it looks really good!

Vinod if these will be ‘green plum’ pickle, I would love your mother-in-law’s recipe! xxoo