Lets talk taste, especially sweetness

Yeah that’s why I grafted it. I have not seen it favorably reviewed though by others, usually the opposite, so we shall see.

Sweet apple with zero tart makes me think Tolman Sweet

I had a great graft of Husk Sweet going this summer but then the deer munched it to death. You guys will have to tell me how good it is.

If you want super sweet I agree with @Vohd that Coe’s Golden Drop is the ticket - its off the charts. I have had far too many rot problems on it though.

I’m intrigued by super sweet Milo Gibson apple (scions sold by Fedco). I won’t get to taste it for a couple years but it was named for the fruit explorer and co-founder of NAFEX shortly after his death. Three NAFEX luminaries grew the apple before deciding to name it for Milo: Prof. Elwyn Meader, Fred Ashworth and Robert Kurle. Those three knew their apples so I’m guessing it’s pretty good.

Milo discovered this apple growing wild-most likely in Oregon as he gave it the original name of Linwood, a neighborhood in Portland, OR. This story given to me by Bill McKentley retired nurseryman, close friend of Fred Ashworth.

It tastes of licorice to some people. One of Milo’s other finds in the wild was Sunflower pawpaw in Kansas I believe.

Thank you all for your great sweet apple recommendations. Definitely something to look at for my kids.

ETA: Has anyone tried Splendour? From what I’ve read, it’s crisp and sweet with little acid. Plus, it supposedly has the best fireblight resistance of any apple the USDA has tested.

I grow Splendour. It’s crisp and sweet if the fruits are not shaded. I noticed that those grown in shade do not color up and are bland. They are also very light. You can eat a few in one sitting without feeling full. I don’t recall having FB issue with it but then FB is not an issue here for apples except on Pink Lady.

2 Likes

You’re right about the FB resistance. One of my former neighbors was one of the govt FB testers and he told me Splendour tested the highest resistance. Have not tasted it.

2 Likes

Pound Sweet is one that is supposed to be devoid of acid, I believe. Supposedly it is a kid’s fave of heirlooms, as I recall. When I was at my sisters, her Gordon’s were unbelievably sweet off the tree and looked like supermarket apples without any spray in coastal N. CA. It is a low chill apple that can still be grown in a wide range of climates, but Richard and Seed Savers F,B and N inventory say it has a balance of acid and sugar. This makes me wonder if my sister has a true to name Gordon. Whatever it is, its fruit was sugar last season- almost Fuji-like.

Hudson’s Golden Gem is a sturdy, elongated, smoothly-russetted apple that to my taste had basically no acid; it grew well in NH; I see it listed as Z3-9 so might or might not work where you are.

I agree. I haven’t found it to be very productive here in SE NY, though. It is also a coddling moth magnet here- they seem to like low acid-high sugar also.

Gala is a sweet apple and a kid favorite.