Limbertwigs for the North?

Are there any Limbertwigs that do well ‘up North’? I’m in Northern Illinois, zone 5 B. And am curious if some would do ok ? Are they specifically for more mild climates? Are they all late ripening ? Or will some do fine in my zone?

Your zone number is missing but most limbertwigs are too late ripening for the northern areas yes but from what I’ve been told summer limbertwig is the exception and can successfully be grown. It just won’t be a summer apple. More like early fall I believe.

1 Like

Ron Joyner at Big Horse Creek Farm NC or David Vernon at Century Farm Nursery NC have a lot of experience with Limbertwigs.

3 Likes

Do any local orchards grow ‘winesap’ apple trees? Harvest for many Limbertwigs should be in similar harvest period.

2 Likes

I have Winesap. They ripen about the 20th of October.

2 Likes

There are a couple of Limbertwigs that ripen a little earlier than late fall. I had a catalog that listed them in order of ripening. I wish I could find it now.

2 Likes

Swiss Limbertwig is rated down to Zone 3. We’re in Z5A. I’ve grafted it on interstems and antonovka. Interstems will be transplanted from the nursery bed in the spring. I’m interested to find out how viable any Limbertwig is in a northern location, particularly central NYS. They may be influenced more by late frosts, as well as late ripening. Hoping to find out & am looking forward to experiencing that famous Limbertwig flavor. Will it be the same as in the southern Appalachians? Probably not but we can hope.

1 Like

I have a black limbertwig in my orchard that’s 5+ years old. I’m in central IL, barely zone 6. It produces great apples that ripen late but not the latest apple I have. My only problem is I have to fence around it because the turkeys and chickens love that the apples are so close to the ground.

3 Likes