Liming questions

When a soil test makes a recommendation for lime, say, for example, 50 lbs per 1000 square feet, how deep are they assuming you are digging/tilling/plowing it in?

If you “double dig” should you double the dose? Since lime doesn’t really “move down” the soil profile much…

2 Likes

The rate would be the same.
Either surface application , or in the plow layer.
In fact it does move down and accumulates in lower layers.
Here ,the layer below the plow line has a higher ph than the plow layer.
I would want to keep new applications in the top several inches

3 Likes

What soil type do you have? My topsoil is loamy, about 12” deep. Subsoil is sandy.

1 Like

Mostly heavy clay

1 Like

You could double dig or double the rate and it probably won’t matter. You’ll still be in an area that works. And I think if just a few inches of soil have a favorable pH then the plant will be able to extract the needed nutrients from that zone. With notill farming systems the lime isn’t incorporated but it still does it’s job.

3 Likes

It does, but does it account for soils who have a natural ph damn near the aluminum toxicity threshold like mine? Mine is in the upper 4’s…

The recommendation does account for your current pH. If it makes you feel better apply double and dig it in deep. I think you’ll be fine doing that. In a soil that acidic it will soon drift back to where it is now. You won’t have excessively high pH anywhere for very long.

1 Like