List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

How cold hardy is 15-30 aka God’s gift?

Dax has Cliff confirmed the name for this tree to be Nakita#4? I asked about this tree yesterday and he said there are two trees planted in the same spot one is V. Derevyanko and next to it is a large fruit hybrid. I still wasnt sure what the name of this tree after his reply. When i seen it on Facebook i thought it may be Dar Sofiyivky bc the shape of the fruit and calyx and the ripening time. Assuming his picture was taken when it was posted. October.

Looks like a winner.

As of 02/01/23, JT-06 is listed as a sibling of JT-02, available from Cliff England.

I’ve never heard of JT-06 before, but if there is an actual sibling of JT-02 then I want it! Who grows it??? Where in the U.S. is it available? I’ve scoured England’s list of scions and I don’t see JT-06. Did I miss it?

I suggested above that maybe someone had confused JT-06 with JBT-06, which is grown at England’s, but JBT-06 is an offspring of JT-02 not a sibling. So where did the information regarding the parentage of JT-06 come from?

I’ve asked this or similar questions a few times before but no one has responded. Does that mean that no one has any knowledge of this name? If not, we should delete the name from the list before people start to think that the unicorn is real.

1 Like

I ordered a stick of scionwood from Cliff and he confirmed the name of that tree is Nikita #4.

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks Tony

1 Like

You didn’t change the list to reflect my input. Maybe you didn’t believe me? Or maybe you were confused by Dax’s recent claim that NB-02 and NB-21 are siblings of JT-02, which they are not. So here’re the descriptions from England’s catalogue:

Zima khurma =NB-02 Persimmon bred out of Nikitskaya Bordovaya, cold hardy and good producer of orange medium to large size fruit that ripens Late-season on a semi-vigorous tree. Has low spreading growth habit and is a beautiful specimen in the fall. Trees are very cold hardy tested down to minus -16.4 F for a long time. This cultivar was bred in Japan and brought to America by Jerry Lehman of Terre Haute, Indiana. Zone 5b to ZONE 8, tested to -16 F.

Edit: In another thread, Dax wrote: << NB-02 aka Zima Kurma has the genetics of: Nikita’s Gift x (kaki) Taishu. >>. So at least for that moment, his understanding matched mine.

See. Persimmon Cold Hardiness Resource - #11 by Barkslip

Sestronka / NB-21 Hybrid – Developed by Jerry Lehman of Terre Haute IN. Fruit is very large as large as the Pure Kaki but oh so much tastier and larger than average pure Kaki fruit, is reddish with thin skin does not fall from the tree trees are small and not very vigorous, it is a seedling of Nikitskaya Bordovaya crossed back to Virginiana. Breeding and embryo rescue was performed in Japan to bring this cultivar to the world, is not any more cold hardier than pure kaki persimmon.

Kasandra - A Hybrid of Great Wall crossed by an F2 Male of Rosseyanka Hybrid back crossed to Virginiana. Tested cold hardy to - 16 degrees with no evidence of freeze damage. It is a large fruit measuring about 2.50 to 2.75 inches and is delicious when ripe. Hybridized by David Lavergne , has a Brix test of 21 and ripens mid-season. Luscious bright green foliage looks like a true Kaki. Zone 5b to 9.

Sorry Richard, I haven’t read any of that (Ukrainian numbering system.) That’s how Cliff told me those on the phone.

Dax

1 Like

I thought it was directed at me not knowing the names so I just deleted the post.
Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

2 Likes

As a former lecturer, my opinion is that there are no foolish questions.

As a former student of any building holding me in… I just wanted to get the hell out of there asap!

Gym class was an exception!

2 Likes

I can relate to that, although attendance in college is voluntary.

1 Like

I did learn one thing in college. Even there you can ‘get pushed thru’ if you find the right pathways. Okay, I’m making this boring. Yea, see ya.

The person asking determines whether or not a question is foolish. A person who does not know is almost always smarter to ask.

Blanket statements usually have exceptions. I find myself measuring responses according to the personality of the person asking. Very rarely, I pull out verbal tools that very few people use in order to encourage a few, discourage others, and frustrate some. Almost always, we are better to encourage. Sometimes that involves encouraging people to do their own research.

Here are the usual ways we learn:

1. By doing it yourself, burnt fingers and all, you learn
  2. By watching someone else do it so they get burnt fingers, you learn
  3. By listening or reading someone else tell how they burnt their fingers so you don’t burn yours
  4. By thinking through the possible results and figuring out that hot stoves can burn you.

Notice the progression from things a baby does to things a young person does to things young adults do to things capable people do.

What impresses me is that rare person who instinctively makes the right choice in a difficult situation where little or no knowledge is involved.

3 Likes

Asking for a friend :wink:
Hypothetically if the one on the right was NB or Nakita’s Gift and the one in the middle was 15/30 or Bozhy Dar or God’s Gift would the one on the left be of the right size and shape to be Kasandra?

5 Likes

I’m gonna try to help with what I know. . . .

Shape: The one on the left looks like Kassandra. Here’s one of mine.

Size: I don’t grow the other two. Table 4 (above) from Grygorieva (08) says that the fruit of NB averages ~77 g. From memory, my Kassandras were ~60 g, though they might have been under-sized because I let the tree overbear. But in any case I’d expect Kassandra to be a little smaller than NB, as in the picture.

Here’s a somewhat stretchy supporting argument: I know (or think I know) that Kassandra is 62.5% Kaki and Nikita’s Gift is 75% Kaki. Kaki’s tend to be larger than DVs. So we might expect NG to be slightly larger than Kassandra.

Hopefully you’ll get an answer from someone who has grown both and placed them side-by-side.

1 Like

Agree
Thanks Richard now let’s all help Richard get reliable data

Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

It might be a few days before the next update. The list from Cliff is extensive!

4 Likes

-29°C for gold gift

4 Likes

Is 400-5 full DV or a hybrid?

See updates below.