List of hybrid persimmon species available in USA

“Fruit Largest Diameter” — Ukrainian sources typically describe fruit size in terms of its mass in grams.

1 Like

Clifford England has (2) males with his handwriting on the bags they state with quotes not italics:
“-22 Rosseymale”
“-11 Rosseymale” or I think he just writes “Rosseymale”

Jerry Lehman’s male that Tony and I will use is:
‘400-5’ hardy to at least -31 F.

Kuji Naja is one of the two hardy hybrid-PVNA’s of Cliff England. It’s edible when hard but only if it is pollinated. The other I don’t know the name but it is an astringent hybrid-PVA. Both are Costata x Rosseymale(s) that are of Cliff origin that David Lavergne used. Cliff planted both in a single hole and tagged each.

NB-21 / “Sestronka” is 0 F

Dax

5 Likes

You can add Cherniaev memory = female flowers only

Krimkaya 55 = female flowers only

3 Likes

I hope the -8 or less is good on the NB-21. Mine has seen -6 already this winter, we’ll see in the spring.

2 Likes

There’s Bozhy Dar that has male and female flowers.

4 Likes

Richard, is it possible, similar to how peaches have a ripening date + or - relative to a particular variety (in the case of peaches it is Redhaven) , that we could add a column for that? I would say that comparing to Nikita’s Gift would be a great standard that everyone could relate to.

Another hybrid I did not see listed is “Journey”

You can add
12/21
10/12
Pixie (male flowers and female)

Also Ukrainien hybrid :
NB1
NB2
NB3
Marush
Gidra
Adolf Lishchuk
Jubile
Kolhoznitza
Schistian gold…

1 Like

“Usually, the damaged areas will start showing up about two weeks after the freeze .” Google.

You’ll have to check the cambium when/after that temp occurred, JCW.

Dax

2 Likes

There is a lot more to climate than cold hardiness. All the simple charts you have seen for peach ripening date or relative ripening date are wrong. Different climates can result in different ripening order, and in fact different years in the same location can produce different ripening dates and orders.

Growing degree days is the most reliable in my opinion but it does require readers to have access to historical weather and annual forecasts for their location. I suppose for simplicity we could use harvest date + location, but then folks not in that location will have to look up historical weather data and know how to translate to their own. I’m still not decided on which convention to follow.

Is this a species hybrid, e.g. D. virginiana x kaki?

Are those dates or accession numbers?

Are all the cultivars you’ve listed species hybrids; e.g. D. virginiana x kaki?

1 Like

All hybrid, all in my garden.

All others in Ukrainian gardeners.

You can add also:
Appolinator du grain (rossayanka matation with only male flowers)
Derevenko Universal polinator.

Not Ukrainian, but PVNA hybrid: MWF2 with male flowers.

3 Likes

England’s website lists it as an F4 hybrid estimating it at 12.5% kaki.

1 Like

I’m not sure how Cliff came up with 12.5% kaki. The parentage is listed as (Rosseyanka x Great Wall) x (H-118 Early Jewel x OP). Assuming the OP is D. v., then Journey should be ~37.5% kaki, since the Rossey x Great Wall should be ~75% kaki.

1 Like

As far as I know Krymchanka/Krymskaya are not hybrids. The Gora series is open pollinated NB by a Ukrainian gardener.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the word “hybrid” is used for both crosses between cultivars of the same species (intra-species) and crosses between species (inter-species).

In USDA zone 9 ?

As single trees, or a few multi-grafted trees?

This is not a casual project. Please use capitalization as it appears in journal publications or listings of viable U.S. nurseries.

frostconcepts.org

Are those harvest dates or accession numbers?

1 Like

Please write out your computation with algebra.

What is NB ?

Rosseyanka=50% kaki, Great Wall=100% kaki, 50% x 100% = 75%
75% x D.v. 0%=37.5%

Does Great Wall ever produce male flowers? If not then Cliff probably has the cross backwards (ALWAYS list the seed parent first!), and the Rosseyanka is Rosseyanka male (Rosseyanka x D.v. male). If that is the case, then Journey would be ~31.25% kaki.

50% x 0%=25% kaki for Rossey male
Great Wall 100% x 25% Rossey male=62.5% kaki
62.5% kaki x D.v. 0%=31.25% kaki

Nikitskaya Bordovaya

1 Like

@Arhus76 — if I remember correctly, you’re in Europe (please correct me if my memory is wrong). The subject of this thread says: “hybrid persimmon species available in U.S