Lizards in my orchard

I’m seeing several of these little guys in my orchard. The one on the muscadine vine looks a little odd due to the camera flash. I’m not sure what is on their dinner menu but I hope they like stink bugs and curculio.

18 Likes

They are so much fun to catch.

2 Likes

The anoles are my favorite as well. Sometimes you can see them change from green to brown. The ones with a streak down the spine are female.

Here’s one on a banana leaf

5 Likes

Very cool. Haven’t seen one in decades.

2 Likes

I have a feeling you’ll want to find ways to increase habitat for those little guys to reduce your spray needs. I’d imagine they enjoy a few nice dark colored rocky outcrops to sun themselves if you have space near your trees to make something like that.

2 Likes

Anoles are very common in most southern tier states. I’ve seen as high as 10 of them on the side of a mobile home at one time. They don’t do a very good job of changing to white. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These guys are different than the green guys but I kill all predators around my house that are bad. These guys never have to worry. The only thing I know that eats more bugs are my cattle egrets… and their cute…

4 Likes

no lizards up here only salamanders but they stay hidden i have a family of garter snakes that winter under a rock pile at the edge of the property. in late spring ill sometimes see them sunning them selves on a flat rock on the pile. if i go slow i can pick them up without them musting or striking out. ive seen a few of them in my strawberry patches eating bugs. i try to look over my patches to make sure no ones in there when i spray. even if they bite you their teeth are so small that they cant even pierce the skin.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to tell everyone I know that snakes are good for many years now. One of my coworkers screams like a small child being chased by a monster when he sees a garter snake in the field. It’s hilarious. I have stories but I’ll keep them to myself and end with snakes are just like cute little lizards without legs that also eat all the bad things that eat our fruit. Give them rocks to live in and sun on and they’ll repay the favor by reducing your spray bill.

3 Likes

I encourage black snakes to stay in and around my greenhouse. They are better mousers than any cat.

5 Likes