Lots of snow this winter

12 Likes

Yep, first year I left my lawn long thinking we never get sustained snow cover I don’t have to worry about snow mold. Last I saw my lawn was over a month ago 🤷

1 Like

never heard of it and we get alot of snow here.

1 Like

Beautiful landscapes!

1 Like

I’ve never heard mention of snow mold. What harm is it supposed to do? We live near Minneapolis/St. Paul and have snow for 4 or five months a year.

1 Like

Lovely! Thanks for the photo.

1 Like

I’m a new home owner and i’ve only ever seen it from a DIY guy from utah on youtube but it just makes the lawn look diseased first few weeks after breaking dormancy. Nothing really to worry about

Snow mold is a fungus that grows in the water as the snow melts. It’s most damaging to fine turf on golf greens and tees especially the bent grass species. The damage appears as large dead circles of whitish colored dead turf. This disease has caused many golf course superintendents to find other work. If untreated in the fall before snow cover, it is devastating to find your tees and greens partially or totally dead as the snow melts.

our local grass must be immune here as ive never seen that and we have a solid 6 months of winter with snow cover at least that long .ive seen permanent snow on the ground as early as mid oct to late may with some spots of snow in the woods until june.

Blue grass usually has a much higher ‘immunity’ than bent grass to snow mold. I’ve seem SM on blue grass that wasn’t cut before winter. This disease is mostly seen at the interface of snow covered and uncovered turf where you have free water on the surface and frozen soil below. The disease isn’t dependent on long snowy winters but how the snow melts and the turf species under the snow. Home lawns rarely see this disease but golf courses are plagued by it with bent grass tees, greens, and fairways.

1 Like