Lullaby for persimmon

I’ve followed posts about persimmons for a long time. That’s why I don’t grow any of the varieties you mentioned. They won‘t survive during real zone 6 winter for long. People could get away with them during mild winters but that could change on a dime.

I talk about those persimmons in ground with no winter protection only.

There’s a persimmon tree on my way to work. Once I stopped by that place and asked them for a fruit. They were happy to share the fruit. it’s a large tree. It’s non astringent type. Looks like fuyu. I asked the owner if he knows what variety it is and he said Hachiya. I came home and googled hachiya and realized it can’t be that since fruit looks nothing like hachiya. It’s a large tree, I would guess at least 10 years. No winter protection whatsoever. Trunk looks to be about 4 inches in diameter. Beautiful tree, survives winter after winter. We get down to -5 degrees occarionally. I don’t know if the owners winter protected it in the early years.

3 Likes

Maybe you can get scions to graft next year. Sounds like a winner to me if it can survive in PA.

3 Likes