Made a quick rustic tarte

If you have a worthy pie do in the freezer this one comes together so quickly! If you don’t keep pie doughs in the freezer here’s whatcha do:

How to Make Foolproof Flaky Pie Crust - Completely Delicious (I don’t get anything for this recommendation; I just think it’s the best pie crust I’ve ever come across.)

Once you’ve thawed and rolled out your crust it’s a nobrainer, but I’ll spell it out: smear a little jelly, jam, or, in this case, a larger amount of applesauce (from last year’s Liberties in this case) on the center portion of the crust, leaving a couple of inches to fold over. Thin slice the apples (store-bought Macs this time because I ddin’t get any Libs to speak of) and after they’re generously arranged sprinkle on some brown sugar, some cinnamon, a little vanilla, a grating of lemon zest (don’t hold back- the apples are intense enough to hold up to the sugar and all) and a few pats of butter, a dribble of cream or half/half.I put some pecans in too, but you can do what you want. (Raisins? Sure, but not too many.) Pull the edges towards the center, and pop into a fairly hot oven. If you want more color on the edges you can wash the folded-over dough with beaten egg or cream, or you can sprinkle with sugar or both.

I added pecans after the pictures- I had forgotten them at first.

11 Likes

My mom would always make me a little pie out of the extra dough when she made a pie. She wild fill it with sugar , butter, and cinnamon and I would eat it hot as soon as it came out of the oven. The photo of that folded up pie really brought back memories!

5 Likes

Thanks for the pie crust recipe. i havecwanted to make your rustic pie. Now I will. Do you butter your parchment?

I never have buttered parchment, and the pie slid right off- of course, it’s full of butter anyway. But I use parchment for lots of stuff, including pan frying salmon, and in that case the skin usually sticks to the parchment and makes it really easy to remove. I like to make grilled cheese sandwich in a skillet and use parchment for that. Makes turning the sandwich really easy, also clean up. If you’re baking pizza on a stone you can make the pizza on parchment and then just slide it onto the hot stone in the oven. Doughs, cookies never seem to stick. Cakes will stick but the parchment still peels off.

1 Like

Great tips and thanks! :heart: